Amex’s Phoenix Centurion Lounge is now open
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
After a short delay, the Amex Centurion Lounge in Phoenix is now open!
The lounge is a welcome addition for fliers passing through Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX). It’s located in Terminal 4, on the upper level across from Gate B22 and will be open daily from 5:30 a.m. until 10 p.
American Express offers excellent membership benefits on its premium credit cards. One of these benefits is access to the American Express Global Lounge Collection, which includes Amex’s own network of Centurion Lounges as well as Airspace Lounges, Escape Lounges, Priority Pass Select lounges (but not restaurants), Delta Sky Clubs when flying Delta, international American Express Lounges and more.
Access to Centurion Lounges is limited to American Express cardholders with a Centurion or Platinum-branded card such as The Platinum Card® from American Express or The Business Platinum Card® from American Express. Cardholders with other flavors of the Platinum Card, such as the Schwab or Ameriprise version as well as international versions, also have access.
If you’re flying from another terminal, you’ll need to pass through security separately at Terminal 4 to access the Centurion Lounge. The PHX Sky Train connects Terminal 4 with Terminal 3, and you can walk from there to Terminal 2, though there are no airside connections to Terminal 4.
In an effort to combat overcrowding, there’s a “flex” space that can be used to make more space available to the Centurion or Escape side, depending on which lounge is more crowded.
The Mexican-themed food selection at both lounges will be curated by Doug Robson, a local chef and co-owner of two popular Mexican restaurants, Gallo Blanco and Otro Cafe. Options will be similar at the two spaces and range from eggs and chorizo at breakfast to tortilla soup, pollo asado, roasted cauliflower, and more at lunch and dinner.
Like Amex’s other lounges, cocktails will be curated by renowned mixologist of Please Don’t Tell fame, Jim Meehan, while the wine list will be picked by Anthony Giglio. Centurion cardholders can expect premium champagne, as well as reserved seating at the PHX location.
Aside from the food and beverage options, both lounges offer a variety of dedicated workspaces, high-speed Wi-Fi, charging stations, shower and more. The PHX location also supports Amex’s new time-saving mobile check-in feature that’s now live at nearly all of Amex’s lounges.
The Phoenix outpost is the 10th in Amex’s growing portfolio of top-notch lounges. It joins existing locations in
- Dallas (DFW)
- Hong Kong (HKG)
- Houston (IAH)
- Las Vegas (LAS)
- Miami (MIA)
- New York (LGA)
- Philadelphia (PHL)
- San Francisco (SFO)
- Seattle (SEA)
Amex has also announced that it’ll be opening five additional new Centurion lounges in 2020. The expected opening dates for those are as follows
- London Heathrow (LHR) – First half of 2020
- New York (JFK) – First half of 2020
- Charlotte (CLT) – 2020
- Denver (DEN) – 2020
- Los Angeles (LAX) – 2020
Customers can access the Centurion Lounge or Escape Lounge by flashing The Platinum Card® from American Express, The Business Platinum Card® from American Express or the Centurion Card. Visitors are entitled to bring two guests (or immediate family if you carry a Centurion card), and lap infants don’t count against the two-guest allotment.
Note that Platinum cardholders can only access Centurion lounges up to three hours before a departing flight. Platinum members can also access the lounges when connecting through the airport, but won’t get access without an onward boarding pass.
RELATED: Choosing the best Amex card for you
Delta SkyMiles® Reserve American Express Card cardholders receive complimentary access to Centurion Lounges when flying Delta with a ticket purchased on any American Express card issued in the U.S. You’ll be able to bring up to two guests into the lounge for a fee of $50 each.
You can also purchase access to the Escape Lounge for $45 at the door or $40 if you book online 24 hours before entry.
The Centurion Lounge and Escape Lounge are welcome additions to PHX. Both offer cardmembers a great place to relax before their flights. If you’re passing through PHX, be sure to check out the new lounges. And if you’re not, stay tuned to The Points Guy because we’ll have full reviews shortly.
Sign up for TPG’s daily email newsletter for travel news delivered directly to your inbox!
All photos of the Phoenix lounges by the author.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.