The Airspace Lounge at JFK’s Terminal 5 Is Closing
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
One of the only lounges at New York John F. Kennedy International Airport’s Terminal 5 is closing at the end of the month. Airspace Lounge, which opened in 2013, will permanently close its doors as the only lounge for JetBlue flyers on August 31, 2018.
A phone call to the lounge confirmed a report from TPG reader Bobby C. that the lounge was indeed closing. At this point, the reason for the closure remains unclear.
The 2,500 square foot space, which is located near gates 24 and 25 in the terminal — across from the pop-up Dunkin’ Donuts — is known for often being overcrowded as one of the only lounges in the terminal. Cardholders of The Platinum Card® from American Express are granted complimentary access to the lounge. In addition, passengers traveling with a same-day departure from T5 can buy access to the lounge, with entry fees starting at $25. With access, Amex Platinum cardholders and those who purchase also get a complimentary $10 credit to be used toward premium food or drink menu items.
TPG reached out to Airspace for an official comment but did not hear back by time of publication.
With the only lounge option for T5 for cardholders of a specific card, which is the terminal not only for JetBlue flights, but also for TAP Portugal, Hawaiian and Aer Lingus, it’s unclear if there will be a replacement lounge in its place. TPG reached out to JetBlue for comment but did not hear back by the time of publication.
Airspace Lounge also offers lounge locations in Baltimore (BWI), Cleveland (CLE) and San Diego (SAN). The phone numbers listed on the Airspace Lounge site for BWI and CLE were disconnected, however, a representative from the SAN location said that there were no known plans to close that lounge.
If you’re traveling through Terminal 5 through the end of the month, you’ll still be able to access the lounge. However, after August 31, T5 will be lounge-less with the exception of Aer Lingus’ lounge across from gate 26.
Correction: This story has been updated to reflect that the Airspace Lounge is not the terminal’s only lounge.
Update: JetBlue has issued the following statement to TPG: “We’ve enjoyed a strong partnership with Airspace, but have decided to reassess our lounge strategy as we grow and enhance the T5 experience. There will not be an immediate lounge option for Customers, but we are exploring a variety of ideas to best serve our Customers while advancing our brand strategy and on-ground product offering.”
Featured photo by Eric Rosen.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees