TPG Talks episode ten: The aviation industry and COVID-19
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This week’s TPG Talks webinar focused on the aviation industry, one that has seen demand drop to historic lows over the course of just a few months. Senior Aviation Editor Ben Mutzabaugh joined us as we discussed how the airlines were forced to adapt to weather the storm and ensure their existence once the pandemic is over, even though it may take years to fully recover.
During the session, we covered topics like:
- The precipitous drop in demand
- The industry’s financial situation
- Fleet changes
- What the future might hold
If you missed the webinar, you can view a full recording right here — and then read on for show notes and additional, follow-up reading:
- 4:02 — Introduction to Ben
- 6:15 — The initial drop in demand
- 10:04 — Discussion of government support for airlines
- 11:16 — Financial state of airline industry
- 15:00 — Risks of airline bankruptcy
- 17:15 — Risks of increased prices given limited flights
- 24:23 — Discussion of cleaning procedures and packed flights
- 33:24 — Fleet adjustments
- 39:10 — Mask-wearing
- 44:54 — Looking to the future, including international flights
- 51:08 — Q&A
Follow-on reading and important links
- Airlines may face a tough fall after that summer uptick
- Delta likely to pull flights as number of US coronavirus cases rises
- As travel reopens, here’s what it’s like flying in the U.S. right now
- United and American may ban passengers who don’t wear masks
- Delta CEO: Wearing masks is about ‘respect,’ says flyers who refuse will be barred
- American removes capacity caps, increases health safety measures
- Airline coronavirus change and cancellation policies: A complete list of major carriers
TPG Talks is a series of live webinars hosted by team members from The Points Guy, covering various aspects of the travel, credit card and loyalty industries. Join from anywhere in the world on any device to learn tips and tricks that’ll get you closer to your next dream vacation.
For a list of previous sessions, visit our TPG Talks hub page, or click on any of the links below for individual recaps:
- TPG Talks #1: Online shopping portals
- TPG Talks #2: Under-the-radar loyalty programs
- TPG Talks #3: Future of cruising
- TPG Talks #4: Beginner’s guide
- TPG Talks #5: Travel changes and cancellations
- TPG Talks #6: New era of flight deals
- TPG Talks #7: Credit card strategy during COVID-19
- TPG Talks #8: Advanced redemption tactics
- TPG Talks #9: Disney and theme park reopening
Featured image by Ryan Patterson for The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees