TPG Talks episode six: A new era of flight deals with Scott’s Cheap Flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In episode six of the TPG Talks, Scott Keyes — founder and Chief Flight Expert of the airfare deal subscription company Scott’s Cheap Flights — described what he sees happening to prices in 2020 and beyond. COVID-19 continues to have substantial effects on the airline industry. When carriers cut their route networks, park hundreds of aircraft or suspend operations entirely, what does that mean for the future of flight deals?
Register for our next TPG Talks webinar at this link
If you’ve been wondering about that very question, make sure to watch the replay of this week’s episode with Scott. Then, head over to the TPG Lounge on Facebook and join the conversation on today’s episode at this thread.
Scott started out by giving us the current deals landscape, where his team of flight deal researches have seen an increase in the number of deals since the current pandemic began. We then talked the latest developments on whether mistake fares are being honored, best practices for booking great fares and looked to the future of the deal’s landscape as well as the airplane experience in a COVID-19 world.
- 3:45 – Introduction to Scott Keyes and Scott’s Cheap Flights
- 6:00 – Secret Sauce of How Scott’s Team Finds Cheap Flights
- 7:24 – Overview of the Current Deals Landscape
- 9:35 – How the Deals Have Changed
- 11:30 – Scott’s Personal Experience with the Pandemic
- 15:06 – Premium Fare Deals
- 18:44 – How Scott is Sharing Flight Deals During the Coronavirus Outbreak (“The Mom Test”)
- 21:58 – Mistake Fares vs. Great Deals
- 27:55 – Tips for Booking a Mistake Fare
- 32:33 – The New Era of Deals
- 39:50 – How Scott Classifies Flight Prices
- 43:22 – Future of the Aviation Industry from Booking to In-Flight Experience
- 49:30 – Q&A
Follow on reading and important links
- When will we start traveling again?
- Now may be the time to book future travel
- When will international travel return? A country-by-country guide to coronavirus recovery
- Airline coronavirus change and cancellation policies: A complete list of major carriers
TPG Talks is a series of live webinars hosted by team members from The Points Guy, covering various aspects of the travel, credit card and loyalty industries. Join from anywhere in the world on any device to learn tips and tricks that’ll get you closer to your next dream vacation.
For a list of previous sessions, visit our TPG Talks hub page, or click on any of the links below for individual recaps:
- TPG Talks #1: Online shopping portals
- TPG Talks #2: Under-the-radar loyalty programs
- TPG Talks #3: Future of cruising
- TPG Talks #4: Beginner’s guide
- TPG Talks #5: Travel changes and cancellations
Featured image courtesy Jeff J Mitchell/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees