TPG Talks episode one: Use online shopping portals and apps to save money and earn miles from home
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
We kicked off our ‘TPG Talks’ webinar series with an in-depth look at how to use online shopping portals and mobile applications to both save money and earn points and miles from home. Below you’ll find the recording of the first TPG Talk along with a few show notes and links to helpful posts we have.
In today’s show we discussed the basics of using online shopping portals, best practices to make sure your purchases are accurately tracked, the amazing power of CashbackMonitor.com, some of our favorite mobile apps that allow us to save money and finally the power of stacking multiple saving strategies into a single purchase.
- 6:33 – Introduction to Shopping Portals featuring the United MileagePlus Shopping Portal
- 8:50 – Shopping Portal Aggregators featuring CashbackMonitor
- 11:37 – When do earning rates change?
- 14:37 – Best practices for using Shopping Portals
- 15:53 – Overview of Rakuten (formerly Ebates) to earn cash back or Membership Rewards points for online and in-store purchases
- 20:40 – Apps to utilize for points and savings
- 29:15 – What security do these apps offer for your credit card information? What risks are there to the consumer?
- 31:11 – How to maximize purchases through Amazon
- 32:44 – Stacking for maximum points and savings
- 39:35 – Do you lose credit card protections by using a shopping portal or app?
- 40:31 – What options are available for online grocery delivery services?
- 42:45 – Uber Eats through Rakuten
- 43:33 – Do apps limit the number of cards that you can add?
- 44:15 – What apps should you start with?
- 46:02 – Evreward vs. CashbackMonitor
- 46:54 – Chrome Extensions
- 48:40 – Can you scan receipts into multiple apps?
- 49:22 – How do you not go crazy doing this?
- 50:58 – Can you pay with a gift card when using a shopping portal?
- 51:45 – Current no brainer deals
- 52:44 – Airline dining rewards programs
- 56:20 – What to do if your purchase isn’t credited
Follow-on reading and important links:
Sign-up for the apps discussed in today’s show:
(The above links are presenter referral links, we appreciate the support)
Be sure to catch all the future TPG Talks webinars live by registering for your spot. You can catch all of our upcoming live events across all of our online channels through our master calendar. You can also re-watch recordings of all previous TPG Talks on the TPG Learning Hub.
Featured photo by Tevarak Phanduang/EyeEm/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees