TPG Talks episode four: A virtual walkthrough of the TPG Beginner’s Guide
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In episode four of TPG Talks, we went straight to one of our our largest audience segment: points and miles beginners! Joining us was TPG Lifestyle Editor Samantha Rosen, author of TPG’s Beginner’s Guide. This comprehensive resource gives you all the basic information you need to start your journey in the world of loyalty programs and travel rewards. There’s a lot of information to digest, so make sure to watch the replay of episode four and start working toward your first award trip.
- 8:20 – What are points and miles?
- 14:22 – How do you earn points and miles?
- 16:40 – Why should I use a credit card?
- 21:55 – What credit card should I get?
- 26:50 – Common terms on the site
- 30:53 – Q&A
- 31:22 – Tracking credit cards and fees
- 32:37 – Should you close a card that you’re not using?
- 34:14 – How do decide that annual fees are worth it?
- 36:40 – How do you decide if an airline card is worth it?
- 38:50 – Strategies for looking for award seats for more than one person
- 41:09 – Should you leverage more than one points program?
- 43:22 – What are the best strategies for finding airline award availability?
- 49:16 – Now what do I do?
- 51:30 – Application restrictions
- 53:15 – Best program to use when booking award flights
Follow on reading and important links:
AnnualCreditReport.com – free credit reports authorized by Federal law
Be sure to catch all the future TPG Talks webinars live by registering for your spot. You can catch all of our upcoming live events across all of our online channels through our master calendar. You can also re-watch recordings of all previous TPG Talks on the TPG Learning Hub.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees