TPG Talks episode four: A virtual walkthrough of the TPG Beginner’s Guide
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In episode four of TPG Talks, we went straight to one of our our largest audience segment: points and miles beginners! Joining us was TPG Lifestyle Editor Samantha Rosen, author of TPG’s Beginner’s Guide. This comprehensive resource gives you all the basic information you need to start your journey in the world of loyalty programs and travel rewards. There’s a lot of information to digest, so make sure to watch the replay of episode four and start working toward your first award trip.
- 8:20 – What are points and miles?
- 14:22 – How do you earn points and miles?
- 16:40 – Why should I use a credit card?
- 21:55 – What credit card should I get?
- 26:50 – Common terms on the site
- 30:53 – Q&A
- 31:22 – Tracking credit cards and fees
- 32:37 – Should you close a card that you’re not using?
- 34:14 – How do decide that annual fees are worth it?
- 36:40 – How do you decide if an airline card is worth it?
- 38:50 – Strategies for looking for award seats for more than one person
- 41:09 – Should you leverage more than one points program?
- 43:22 – What are the best strategies for finding airline award availability?
- 49:16 – Now what do I do?
- 51:30 – Application restrictions
- 53:15 – Best program to use when booking award flights
Follow on reading and important links:
AnnualCreditReport.com – free credit reports authorized by Federal law
Be sure to catch all the future TPG Talks webinars live by registering for your spot. You can catch all of our upcoming live events across all of our online channels through our master calendar. You can also re-watch recordings of all previous TPG Talks on the TPG Learning Hub.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.