American removes capacity caps, increases health safety measures
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
American Airlines will begin fully booking its flights again as demand allows starting next month.
The carrier has already come under criticism for flying relatively full flights during the coronavirus pandemic, but is moving ahead with plans to sell all available seats on every flight as of July 1. That brings it in line with United Airlines, which was not observing any capacity caps. Delta, Alaska, JetBlue and Southwest are among carriers that continue to limit the number of passengers on every flight, at least for now.
American said it will continue allowing passengers to move to less-crowded flights for no fee when such options are available, and that it will alert passengers when their flights are full.
American is lifting the capacity caps in conjunction with some newly-announced health safety measures, including a travel health advisory panel and a pre-departure symptom questionnaire.
The panel is a partnership with Vanderbilt University, and its members will advise the airline on public health best-practices, including the most effective cleaning procedures.
Since the start of the pandemic, airlines across the board have updated and emphasized the rigor of their cleaning routines. Many carriers have put out detailed graphics or videos to show how aircraft are disinfected between every flight, and have provided information about onboard air filtration systems in an effort to reassure passengers that the risk of onboard infection is low.
American’s cleaning procedures include hand-cleaning seat buckles, seats, tray tables and other surfaces, and applying an electrostatic spray inside the aircraft every seven days, which the airline said kills 99.9999% of viruses and bacteria within 10 minutes.
Beginning June 30, passengers on American will also be asked to certify during check-in that they have been COVID-19 symptom-free for at least 14 days. Online and airport kiosk check-in interfaces will include a symptom checklist.
“Our customers trust us to make every aspect of their journey safe. We won’t let them down,” Alison Taylor, American’s chief customer officer said in a statement. “We will continue to refine and update our practices based on the latest information from health authorities and our own Travel Health Advisory Panel.”
The airline will continue requiring passengers to wear masks throughout their flights, and American said it will restrict travel privileges for passengers who refuse to comply.
Featured photo by DANIEL SLIM/AFP via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees