How airlines are working to keep it clean amid coronavirus outbreak
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Coronavirus is having an outsize effect on the airline industry.
Demand is down as corporations cut back on business travel, and vacationers increasingly keep it local amid fears of catching the disease.
To allay some travelers’ fears, airlines are going out of their way to make sure their passengers know that the planes they’ll travel on are sufficiently cleaned.
Different airlines have taken different approaches to getting this info out, but the message across the board is the same: our planes are sanitary!
For Alaska Airlines, that meant posting a detailed video about how planes are cleaned between flights and overnight.
United, American and Delta have all released statements outlining their cleaning procedures, with all three noting that they’re adhering to updated guidance on airplane sanitation from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
International airlines, too, have taken steps to assure travelers of their cleanliness during the outbreak.
For those who remain unconvinced, check out our guide to the latest waivers and cancellations currently in place at U.S. airlines.
Featured photo by Clint Henderson/The Points Guy.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.