TPG Talks episode eight: Advanced redemption tactics
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In some cases, redeeming points and miles can be simple, but in many instances, it’s quite complex. How do you find availability for premium-class flights? What’s the best program to use to book those awards? And what are some advanced strategies for maximizing your loyalty rewards?
We attempted to answer these questions (and more) on this week’s TPG Talks webinar, when Loyalty and Engagement Editor Richard Kerr joined me to discuss advanced redemption tactics. We shared some of our favorite strategies for making the most of your points and miles, then did a rapid-fire overview of key transfer partners from Chase Ultimate Rewards, American Express Membership Rewards and Citi ThankYou Rewards.
If you’re looking to learn more about maximizing your credit card rewards, check out the recording of this week’s talk:
- 2:00 – Fast Facts about What’s Going on in Points and Miles
- 5:10 – The Power of Transfering Points
- 8:01 – Stopovers and Open Jaws
- 10:27 – Multiple Award Seats on the Same Flight
- 12:30 – Singapore KrisFlyer
- 16:00 – United MileagePlus
- 21:18 – Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
- 26:00 – Etihad Guest
- 30:50 – Air Canada Aeroplan
- 34:43 – Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
- 39:06 – Iberia Avios
- 42:00 – All Nippon Airways (ANA)
- 46:42 – How Far in Advance Should You Search for Award Availability?
- 47:17 – Clarity Around Transfering Miles
- 48:11 – Turkish Miles and Smiles
- 51:55 – Avianca LifeMiles
- 55:09 – Japan Airlines Mileage Bank
- 58:35 – What is the Process for Booking an Award?
- 1:02:10 – Booking One Way vs. Roundtrip Flights
- 1:04:46 – How to Research What Non-Stop Flights are Available?
- 1:06:55 – Singapore KrisFlyer Fifth Freedom Routes
- 1:08:10 – Websites for Finding Availability By Airline Alliance
Follow-on reading and important links
- A guide to earning transferable points and why they’re so valuable
- Maximizing stopovers and open jaws on award tickets
- How to beat limited award availability once and for all
- How to travel more for fewer miles with the United Excursionist Perk
- The ultimate guide to Etihad partners
- Turkish Miles & Smiles: Why you should care about the hottest frequent flyer program of 2020
- How to book cheap Delta awards with Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
- The best ways to maximize Air Canada’s Aeroplan program
TPG Talks is a series of live webinars hosted by team members from The Points Guy, covering various aspects of the travel, credit card and loyalty industries. Join from anywhere in the world on any device to learn tips and tricks that’ll get you closer to your next dream vacation.
For a list of previous sessions, visit our TPG Talks hub page, or click on any of the links below for individual recaps:
- TPG Talks #1: Online shopping portals
- TPG Talks #2: Under-the-radar loyalty programs
- TPG Talks #3: Future of cruising
- TPG Talks #4: Beginner’s guide
- TPG Talks #5: Travel changes and cancellations
- TPG Talks #6: New era of flight deals
- TPG Talks #7: Credit card strategy
And if you haven’t already be sure to sign up for our daily newsletter where we have lots of tips on award booking.
Featured photo by Nora Carol Photography/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.