TPG Talks episode eight: Advanced redemption tactics
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
In some cases, redeeming points and miles can be simple, but in many instances, it’s quite complex. How do you find availability for premium-class flights? What’s the best program to use to book those awards? And what are some advanced strategies for maximizing your loyalty rewards?
We attempted to answer these questions (and more) on this week’s TPG Talks webinar, when Loyalty and Engagement Editor Richard Kerr joined me to discuss advanced redemption tactics. We shared some of our favorite strategies for making the most of your points and miles, then did a rapid-fire overview of key transfer partners from Chase Ultimate Rewards, American Express Membership Rewards and Citi ThankYou Rewards.
If you’re looking to learn more about maximizing your credit card rewards, check out the recording of this week’s talk:
- 2:00 – Fast Facts about What’s Going on in Points and Miles
- 5:10 – The Power of Transfering Points
- 8:01 – Stopovers and Open Jaws
- 10:27 – Multiple Award Seats on the Same Flight
- 12:30 – Singapore KrisFlyer
- 16:00 – United MileagePlus
- 21:18 – Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
- 26:00 – Etihad Guest
- 30:50 – Air Canada Aeroplan
- 34:43 – Cathay Pacific Asia Miles
- 39:06 – Iberia Avios
- 42:00 – All Nippon Airways (ANA)
- 46:42 – How Far in Advance Should You Search for Award Availability?
- 47:17 – Clarity Around Transfering Miles
- 48:11 – Turkish Miles and Smiles
- 51:55 – Avianca LifeMiles
- 55:09 – Japan Airlines Mileage Bank
- 58:35 – What is the Process for Booking an Award?
- 1:02:10 – Booking One Way vs. Roundtrip Flights
- 1:04:46 – How to Research What Non-Stop Flights are Available?
- 1:06:55 – Singapore KrisFlyer Fifth Freedom Routes
- 1:08:10 – Websites for Finding Availability By Airline Alliance
Follow-on reading and important links
- A guide to earning transferable points and why they’re so valuable
- Maximizing stopovers and open jaws on award tickets
- How to beat limited award availability once and for all
- How to travel more for fewer miles with the United Excursionist Perk
- The ultimate guide to Etihad partners
- Turkish Miles & Smiles: Why you should care about the hottest frequent flyer program of 2020
- How to book cheap Delta awards with Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
- The best ways to maximize Air Canada’s Aeroplan program
TPG Talks is a series of live webinars hosted by team members from The Points Guy, covering various aspects of the travel, credit card and loyalty industries. Join from anywhere in the world on any device to learn tips and tricks that’ll get you closer to your next dream vacation.
For a list of previous sessions, visit our TPG Talks hub page, or click on any of the links below for individual recaps:
- TPG Talks #1: Online shopping portals
- TPG Talks #2: Under-the-radar loyalty programs
- TPG Talks #3: Future of cruising
- TPG Talks #4: Beginner’s guide
- TPG Talks #5: Travel changes and cancellations
- TPG Talks #6: New era of flight deals
- TPG Talks #7: Credit card strategy
And if you haven’t already be sure to sign up for our daily newsletter where we have lots of tips on award booking.
Featured photo by Nora Carol Photography/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees