TPG Talks episode seven: Credit card strategy during COVID-19
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
With travel at a slow down and plenty of credit card benefits going unused, now is the time to audit your credit card portfolio and reassess what should be in your wallet. On this week’s TPG Talks webinar, we were joined by Credit Cards Editor Benét Wilson and Points & Miles Editor Ariana Arghandewal.
Benet and Arianna shared a recap of all the changes to credit card bonus categories, including what you should consider before closing or opening cards as well as specific card recommendations — to perhaps put in the sock drawer or add to your wallet. We concluded by looking into the future of the card industry. If you’ve been wondering how all of the changes to card benefits and perks should affect your wallet, make sure you watch the replay of this week’s talk:
- 6:25 – Recap of Recent Credit Card Changes and Relief including New Bonus Categories and Waived Annual Fees
- 12:50 – Things to Think About Before Changing Cards
- 15:15 – What Happens if You Get a Refund to a Canceled Card
- 16:51 – Considerations for Getting a New Card
- 22:58 – Card Recommendations
- 27:09 – Cards to Use to Book Future Travel
- 28:40 – Great Sign Up Bonuses Right Now
- 31:15 – Cards for Beginners
- 35:01 – The Future of the Credit Card Industry
- 38:01 – Panelists Personal Comfort on Traveling Now
- 40:50 – Clarifications on Downgrading and Upgrading Cards
- 42:36 – Chase Sapphire Preferred (CSP) vs. Chase Sapphire Reserve (CSR)
- 45:42 – Trip Protection Coverages
- 48:19 – How to Manage Multiple Cards
- 50:37 – Timing Credit Card Applications
- 51:57 – Maximizing Authorized Users
- 53:56 – Understanding Your Credit Score
- 54:20 – Closing Thoughts
Follow on reading and important links
- Amex announces limited-time perks for select Amex Membership Rewards, Delta, Marriott and Hilton cards
- Earn up to 5x on groceries across select Chase-issued travel cards
- Chase adds limited-time Sapphire benefits to help grounded travelers
- Citi announces changes to help cardholders maximize benefits during coronavirus
- How credit scores work
- The ultimate guide to credit card application restrictions
- Credit cards we’re using most during the pandemic
- When can you downgrade your credit card account?
- Sapphire showdown: Chase Sapphire Preferred vs. Chase Sapphire Reserve
TPG Talks is a series of live webinars hosted by team members from The Points Guy, covering various aspects of the travel, credit card and loyalty industries. Join from anywhere in the world on any device to learn tips and tricks that’ll get you closer to your next dream vacation.
For a list of previous sessions, visit our TPG Talks hub page, or click on any of the links below for individual recaps:
- TPG Talks #1: Online shopping portals
- TPG Talks #2: Under-the-radar loyalty programs
- TPG Talks #3: Future of cruising
- TPG Talks #4: Beginner’s guide
- TPG Talks #5: Travel changes and cancellations
- TPG Talks #6: New era of flight deals
Featured photo by Guido Mieth/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees