My Experience Using Amex’s Centurion Lounge App Check-In
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
This month, American Express began offering a new option for checking into the issuer’s network of Centurion Lounges. Now, rather than flashing your card at the desk, customers with the Centurion Card, The Platinum Card® from American Express and the Business Platinum® Card from American Express can begin the entry process using Amex’s regular mobile app.
Currently, mobile check-in is in a “soft launch phase” — it’s only up and running at the New York (LGA) and San Francisco (SFO) locations and might not be active all the time, so you might want to carry your card with you (or use this option instead) just in case. I run through the process in detail here, but after having an opportunity to test it out at Amex’s SFO location this week, I wanted to share my experience.
First, I should note that the lounge was almost empty during my Monday morning visit ahead of the July 4th holiday — the SFO Centurion Lounge is often bursting at the seams in my experience, but this time nearly every seat was open, so I didn’t face the normal check-in queue when I arrived.
Instead, after checking in via the app a few minutes before, the agent simply asked “are you Zach?” when I approached the desk holding out my QR code, since my name appeared on his tablet. I was indeed! He checked my ID, wrote down my flight number and I was on my way in less than 10 seconds — definitely my speediest entry to date!
As I mentioned, mobile check-in only works at LGA and SFO right now, but Amex expects to roll it out to other locations “in the coming months.” That means you’ll soon be able to use it at lounges in Dallas (DFW), Hong Kong (HKG), Houston (IAH), Las Vegas (LAS), Miami (MIA), Philadelphia (PHL) and Seattle (SEA) — and eventually at upcoming lounges, as they open at Charlotte (CLT), Denver (DEN), Los Angeles (LAX), New York John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK), Phoenix (PHX) and London Heathrow (LHR).
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber credits annually
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 Membership Rewards® points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases in your first 3 months.
- Enjoy Uber VIP status and free rides in the U.S. up to $15 each month, plus a bonus $20 in December. That can be up to $200 in annual Uber savings.
- 5X Membership Rewards® points on flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel.
- 5X Membership Rewards points on prepaid hotels booked on amextravel.com.
- Enjoy access to the Global Lounge Collection, the only credit card airport lounge access program that includes proprietary lounge locations around the world.
- Receive complimentary benefits with an average total value of $550 with Fine Hotels & Resorts. Learn More.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit, up to $200 per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one qualifying airline.
- Get up to $100 in statement credits annually for purchases at Saks Fifth Avenue on your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees