My Experience Using Amex’s Centurion Lounge App Check-In
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Update: Some offers mentioned below are no longer available. View the current offers here.
This month, American Express began offering a new option for checking into the issuer’s network of Centurion Lounges. Now, rather than flashing your card at the desk, customers with the Centurion Card, The Platinum Card® from American Express and the Business Platinum Card® from American Express can begin the entry process using Amex’s regular mobile app.
Currently, mobile check-in is in a “soft launch phase” — it’s only up and running at the New York (LGA) and San Francisco (SFO) locations and might not be active all the time, so you might want to carry your card with you (or use this option instead) just in case. I run through the process in detail here, but after having an opportunity to test it out at Amex’s SFO location this week, I wanted to share my experience.
First, I should note that the lounge was almost empty during my Monday morning visit ahead of the July 4th holiday — the SFO Centurion Lounge is often bursting at the seams in my experience, but this time nearly every seat was open, so I didn’t face the normal check-in queue when I arrived.
Instead, after checking in via the app a few minutes before, the agent simply asked “are you Zach?” when I approached the desk holding out my QR code, since my name appeared on his tablet. I was indeed! He checked my ID, wrote down my flight number and I was on my way in less than 10 seconds — definitely my speediest entry to date!
As I mentioned, mobile check-in only works at LGA and SFO right now, but Amex expects to roll it out to other locations “in the coming months.” That means you’ll soon be able to use it at lounges in Dallas (DFW), Hong Kong (HKG), Houston (IAH), Las Vegas (LAS), Miami (MIA), Philadelphia (PHL) and Seattle (SEA) — and eventually at upcoming lounges, as they open at Charlotte (CLT), Denver (DEN), Los Angeles (LAX), New York John F. Kennedy Airport (JFK), Phoenix (PHX) and London Heathrow (LHR).
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 100,000 Points Terms Apply.
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $2,000
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: Delta Sky Club and Centurion lounge access, up to $200 annual airline fee credit and up to $200 in Uber Cash annually (only for use in the U.S.) (Enrollment required for select benefits)
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 100,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $6,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 6 months of Card Membership. Apply and select your preferred metal Card design: classic Platinum Card®, Platinum x Kehinde Wiley, or Platinum x Julie Mehretu.
- Earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points for flights booked directly with airlines or with American Express Travel up to $500,000 on these purchases per calendar year and earn 5X Membership Rewards® Points on prepaid hotels booked with American Express Travel.
- Get $200 back in statement credits each year on prepaid Fine Hotels + Resorts® or The Hotel Collection bookings, which requires a minimum two-night stay, through American Express Travel when you pay with your Platinum Card®. And if you fly, you can receive up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year after you select a qualifying airline and incidental fees are charged by the airline to your Platinum Card®.
- $240 Digital Entertainment Credit: Get up to $20 back each month on eligible purchases made with your Platinum Card® on one or more of the following: Audible, Disney+, The Disney Bundle, ESPN+, Hulu, Peacock, SiriusXM, and The New York Times. Enrollment required.
- $155 Walmart+ Credit: Cover the cost of a $12.95 monthly Walmart+ membership with a statement credit after you pay for Walmart+ each month with your Platinum Card. Cost includes $12.95 plus applicable local sales tax. Plus Ups are excluded.
- American Express has expanded The Centurion® Network to include 40+ Centurion Lounge and Studio locations worldwide. There are even more places your Platinum Card® can get you complimentary entry and exclusive perks.
- $200 Airline Fee Credit: Get up to $200 in statement credits per calendar year in baggage fees and more at one select qualifying airline.
- $200 Uber Cash: Enjoy Uber VIP status and up to $200 in Uber savings on rides or eats orders in the US annually. Uber Cash and Uber VIP status is available to Basic Card Member only.
- $300 Equinox Credit: Get up to $25 back each month on the Equinox+ digital fitness app, or eligible Equinox club memberships when you pay with your Platinum Card®. Enrollment required.
- $189 CLEAR® Credit: Use your Card and get up to $189 back per year on your CLEAR® membership. CLEAR® is available at select airports and stadiums.
- $695 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees