Airlines and hotels, pay attention: Starbucks’ loyalty strategy during the coronavirus outbreak
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s no secret we’re all adjusting to our new normal as the coronavirus outbreak spreads around the world.
The novel coronavirus disease, COVID-19, has affected nearly 200,000 people around the world in 165 countries and territories and all 50 U.S. states. Life as we know it is temporarily on pause.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
To cope with this current reality, airlines are slashing capacity and offering unprecedented change and cancellation fee waivers, as people are only traveling right now for urgent and essential reasons. While there are obviously bigger issues at stake, many frequent flyers and road warriors are wondering what’s going to happen to their elite status, miles and more. One thing’s for sure: Airlines and hotels can probably take a page (or two) from Starbucks‘ loyalty strategy.
Even if you wanted to enjoy your cup of coffee from a Starbucks cafe right now, you can’t. The company announced all of their locations will be “to go” until further notice and closed seating as of March 15. Still, they’re helping Starbucks loyalists earn points and keep their rewards active.
Earning rewards from home
The popular coffee chain is coping with quarantine by launching a new promotion, in which customers take part in an augmented reality game to win their Stars. The best part? You can do it all from the comfort of your home office (or couch — no judgement).
Here’s how it works: Every star you catch in the Starland promotion will earn you a raffle ticket or instant prize, although you’re limited to two plays per day. There’s no fee or requirements to play. You can, though, earn additional plays by making a purchase on your Starbucks Card or your Starbucks Card in the store’s app. Some of the prizes you can win include 15,000 stars, free drinks for a year and more.
To play, just fire up your Starbucks app or head to the Starland website and from there, you can play at your leisure.
Extended reward expiration dates
The coffee chain is also proactively thinking ahead, delaying the expiration of all stars scheduled to expire between now and June 1, 2020.
While we don’t know how much longer this pandemic is going to last, it’s little things like this that give consumers a valuable way to continue to rack up stars even when they’re not dining or picking up coffee in person. We have no doubt we’ll be putting our star stockpiles to good use when we eventually come out on the other side of this. And while we wait to return to our leisurely cup of mocha-steamed-chai-latte-whatever, here’s some reading material on the best credit cards to use at Starbucks.
Airlines and hotels should take note and follow suit with clear and straight-forward extensions, because giving consumers additional flexibility in these trying times goes a long way toward building confidence and (you guessed it) loyalty.
For more on the coronavirus outbreak, see:
- Lessons from lockdown: What it’s like in Spain during the mandatory quarantine right now
- Myth-busting: Will a face mask keep you safe from viruses on a plane?
- How coronavirus has left the travel industry reeling
- How coronavirus is impacting airline award availability
- No travel required: 10 iconic museums you can tour online
Featured image by Waldo Swiegers/Bloomberg/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees