No travel required: 10 iconic museums you can tour online
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
So your trip to Paris has been cancelled, you’re socially distancing yourself, and you’re in the midst of working from home — that’s the crazy reality we’re all living in right now as COVID-19 continues to rapidly spread across the globe.
While now is definitely not the time to travel, it doesn’t mean you have to completely miss out on exploring new places. With Google Arts & Culture, you can take digital tours of some of the world’s most famous museums.
I don’t know about you, but a break from reality sounds amazing right about now. Go pour yourself a glass of wine, sit back and enjoy the art.
Here are 10 of the most iconic museums you can visit virtually.
You can enjoy the Guggenheim’s Impressionist, Post-Impressionist, Modern and Contemporary-era art exhibits with Google’s Street View.
Check out Van Gogh’s self-portrait up close and personal by taking a virtual tour of the renowned Art Institute.
Admire some of the most influential portraits at the National Portrait Gallery in the nation’s capital from the comfort of your couch.
The British Museum tour is a bit different from the rest as it’s not a part of the Google Arts & Culture tour. Instead, it’s on the British Museum site where you can interactively choose which time period you want to look at from which part of the world, and then learn interesting facts about the piece.
The Louvre has closed its door indefinitely, but thankfully you can still admire its beauty from afar.
If you’re looking to calm your nerves, take a virtual visit to Musée d’Orsay in Paris and its beautiful Monet paintings.
If you’re a Van Gogh fan then you’ve got to ‘gogh visit this museum as it houses the largest collection of the artist’s work.
The Uffizi Gallery is said to have one of the most beautiful art collections in the world, so this is definitely one you’ll want to check out.
If you’re a fan of architecture, then this is a must-see. The Pergamon is famous for housing large monumental Babylonian, Greek and Roman buildings — for instance, the Gate of Babylon.
The National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art has four special online exhibits that are really cool and educational. Beyond those, you can browse the museum through street view like the other museums listed.
These are just 10 of the hundreds of museums Google has in its Arts & Culture collection. You can browse more museums here and even see some of the most famous pieces of art up close here. You can also tour historic sites, like the Palace of Versailles, through Google.
- 5 reasons why Google Maps is a traveler’s best friend
- Should I travel? Advice for the coronavirus outbreak
- Here’s what to consider if you’re thinking about booking future travel now
Featured photo by Stephane Cardinale – Corbis / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees