No travel required: 10 iconic museums you can tour online
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
So your trip to Paris has been cancelled, you’re socially distancing yourself, and you’re in the midst of working from home — that’s the crazy reality we’re all living in right now as COVID-19 continues to rapidly spread across the globe.
While now is definitely not the time to travel, it doesn’t mean you have to completely miss out on exploring new places. With Google Arts & Culture, you can take digital tours of some of the world’s most famous museums.
I don’t know about you, but a break from reality sounds amazing right about now. Go pour yourself a glass of wine, sit back and enjoy the art.
Here are 10 of the most iconic museums you can visit virtually.
You can enjoy the Guggenheim’s Impressionist, Post-Impressionist, Modern and Contemporary-era art exhibits with Google’s Street View.
Check out Van Gogh’s self-portrait up close and personal by taking a virtual tour of the renowned Art Institute.
Admire some of the most influential portraits at the National Portrait Gallery in the nation’s capital from the comfort of your couch.
The British Museum tour is a bit different from the rest as it’s not a part of the Google Arts & Culture tour. Instead, it’s on the British Museum site where you can interactively choose which time period you want to look at from which part of the world, and then learn interesting facts about the piece.
The Louvre has closed its door indefinitely, but thankfully you can still admire its beauty from afar.
If you’re looking to calm your nerves, take a virtual visit to Musée d’Orsay in Paris and its beautiful Monet paintings.
If you’re a Van Gogh fan then you’ve got to ‘gogh visit this museum as it houses the largest collection of the artist’s work.
The Uffizi Gallery is said to have one of the most beautiful art collections in the world, so this is definitely one you’ll want to check out.
If you’re a fan of architecture, then this is a must-see. The Pergamon is famous for housing large monumental Babylonian, Greek and Roman buildings — for instance, the Gate of Babylon.
The National Museum of Modern and Contemporary Art has four special online exhibits that are really cool and educational. Beyond those, you can browse the museum through street view like the other museums listed.
These are just 10 of the hundreds of museums Google has in its Arts & Culture collection. You can browse more museums here and even see some of the most famous pieces of art up close here. You can also tour historic sites, like the Palace of Versailles, through Google.
- 5 reasons why Google Maps is a traveler’s best friend
- Should I travel? Advice for the coronavirus outbreak
- Here’s what to consider if you’re thinking about booking future travel now
Featured photo by Stephane Cardinale – Corbis / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.