This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Airlines around the world launch and announce dozens of new flight routes and service changes every month. Today, we’ll share just a few of the latest flights that will take to the skies this month or in the near future. Keep in mind that exact flight details (like schedules and aircraft, among other things) may change.
NEW ROUTES LAUNCHED IN APRIL 2019
Air Italy Introduces Nonstop Flights to Milan from Los Angeles and San Francisco (Launched April 3 and 10)
Details — After postponing its upcoming route from Chicago (ORD) to Milan (MXP) to next year, Air Italy decided to launch not one, but two new routes this month from the West Coast, connecting Los Angeles (LAX) and San Francisco (SFO) to the iconic Italian city. As of April 3, the LAX–MXP flight operates four times per week on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday. The SFO–MXP route launched April 10 and also runs four times per week on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday. Both are serviced by the carrier’s A330 aircraft. Check out the full TPG reviews of its economy and business-class products for a better idea of what you’ll be getting into.
Los Angeles to Milan (4x per week):
- IG944 Los Angeles (LAX) 6:50pm Departure → Milan (MXP) 3:55pm (+1) Arrival
- IG943 Milan (MXP) 1:00pm Departure → Los Angeles (LAX) 4:50pm Arrival
San Francisco to Milan (4x per week):
- IG938 San Francisco (SFO) 7:10pm Departure → Milan (MXP) 4:05pm (+1) Arrival
- IG937 Milan (MXP) 1:35pm Departure → San Francisco (SFO) 5:10pm Arrival
New Flights to London on British Airways and American Airlines (Launched April 1, 2 and 4)
Details — It’s getting easier for folks in the US to hop across the pond thanks to three new routes brought to you by American Airlines and British Airways. On April 1, American Airlines began flying nonstop daily from Phoenix (PHX) to London (LHR) with the carrier’s 777-200 aircraft. British Airways began service between Pittsburgh (PIT) and LHR on April 2, with flights operating four times per week on Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday aboard BA’s 787-8 Dreamliner. Perhaps the most exciting launch by British Airways this month was the carrier’s new nonstop service — also on the 787-8 — from Charleston, South Carolina (CHS) to LHR, making it the airport’s first international nonstop flight. The catch? It’s only operating on a seasonal basis twice a week on Sunday and Thursday from April 4 to October 24, 2019.
Phoenix to London (daily):
- AA194 Phoenix (PHX) 3:00pm Departure → London (LHR) 9:25am (+1) Arrival
- AA195 London (LHR) 9:30am Departure → Phoenix (PHX) 12:35pm Arrival
Pittsburgh to London (4x per week):
- BA170 Pittsburgh (PIT) 9:50pm Departure → London (LHR) 10:25am (+1) Arrival
- BA171 London (LHR) 4:10pm Departure → Pittsburgh (PIT) 7:25pm Arrival
Charleston to London (2x per week):
- BA220 Charleston (CHS) 11:20pm Departure → London (LHR) 12:20pm (+1) Arrival
- BA221 London (LHR) 5:30pm Departure → Charleston (CHS) 9:30pm Arrival
Southwest and Hawaiian Airlines Add New Routes to Oahu and Maui (Launched April 1, 4, 7 and 28)
Details — We’ve got great news for anyone planning a trip to Hawaii: Both Hawaiian Airlines and Southwest have added new routes to their respective networks, making your next tropical getaway even more within reach. Travelers in the Northeast can now hop a nonstop flight from Boston (BOS) to Honolulu (HNL) aboard Hawaiian Airlines’ A330 five times per week on Sunday, Monday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday, while folks in Sacramento (SMF) can fly nonstop daily to Kahului, Maui (OGG), aboard the Hawaiian Airlines’ A321neo. On the Southwest front, the carrier launched twice-daily nonstop service from Oakland (OAK) to OGG earlier this month, as well as interisland flights between HNL and OGG four times a day starting April 28.
Boston to Oahu on Hawaiian Airlines (5x per week):
- HA89 Boston (BOS) 9:20am Departure → Honolulu (HNL) 2:25pm Arrival
- HA90 Honolulu (HNL) 1:50pm Departure → Boston (BOS) 5:50am (+1) Arrival
Sacramento to Maui on Hawaiian Airlines (daily):
- HA59 Sacramento (SMF) 8:50am Departure → Kahului, Maui (OGG) 11:30am Arrival
- HA60 Kahului, Maui (OGG) 12:45pm Departure → Sacramento (SMF) 8:55pm Arrival
Oakland to Maui on Southwest (2x daily):
- Oakland (OAK) 8:35am Departure → Kahului, Maui (OGG) 11:05am Arrival
- Kahului, Maui (OGG) 9:15am Departure → Oakland (OAK) 5:20pm Arrival
- Oakland (OAK) 5:30pm Departure → Kahului, Maui (OGG) 8:00pm Arrival
- Kahului, Maui (OGG) 12:50pm Departure → Oakland (OAK) 8:50pm Arrival
Honolulu to Maui on Southwest (4x daily):
- Honolulu (HNL) 8:30am Departure → Kahului, Maui (OGG) 9:15am Arrival
- Kahului, Maui (OGG) 7:00am Departure → Honolulu (HNL) 7:40am Arrival
- Honolulu (HNL) 12:10pm Departure → Kahului, Maui (OGG) 1:00pm Arrival
- Kahului, Maui (OGG) 10:10am Departure → Honolulu (HNL) 10:55am Arrival
- Honolulu (HNL) 3:25pm Departure → Kahului, Maui (OGG) 4:15pm Arrival
- Kahului, Maui (OGG) 1:50pm Departure → Honolulu (HNL) 2:35pm Arrival
- Honolulu (HNL) 7:05pm Departure → Kahului, Maui (OGG) 7:50pm Arrival
- Kahului, Maui (OGG) 5:00pm Departure → Honolulu (HNL) 5:45pm Arrival
Fly Royal Air Maroc from Miami to Casablanca (Launched April 3)
Details — Round up the usual suspects! Earlier this month, Royal Air Maroc launched thrice-weekly service between Miami (MIA) and Casablanca (CMN), operating Sunday, Wednesday and Friday aboard the carrier’s 787-8 aircraft. With nonstop service from Boston (BOS) expected to start in June, the airline is doing a great job making Morocco accessible to more travelers, especially once it officially becomes part of the Oneworld alliance in mid-2020. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
Miami to Casablanca (3x per week):
- AT205 Miami (MIA) 10:35pm Departure → Casablanca (CMN) 11:45am (+1) Arrival
- AT204 Casablanca (CMN) 4:50pm Departure → Miami (MIA) 8:35pm Arrival
Cathay Pacific Begins Nonstop Service to Hong Kong from Seattle (Launched April 1)
Details — Cathay Pacific recently began nonstop service from Seattle (SEA) to Hong Kong (HKG), operating four times a week on Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Friday until October 27, 2019, when it will add a fifth flight for each week on Tuesday. Best of all, the new route is being serviced by the carrier’s A350-900 aircraft — TPG’s Editor-at-Large Zach Honig reviewed the aircraft’s business-class product, here — ensuring you arrive in style in Hong Kong after the transpacific flight.
Schedule (4x per week, then 5x per week as of October 27, 2019):
- CX857 Seattle (SEA) 1:00am Departure → Hong Kong (HKG) 5:10am (+1) Arrival
- CX858 Hong Kong (HKG) 11:55pm Departure → Seattle (SEA) 9:00pm Arrival
American Airlines Offers New Seasonal Flights to Edinburgh from Philadelphia (launched April 2)
Details — Calling all Outlander fans; it’s time to start planning your dream trip to Scotland. American Airlines launched a new seasonal route from Philadelphia (PHL) to Edinburgh (EDI) on April 2, giving travelers a chance to visit daily via the carrier’s 757 aircraft between now and October 26, 2019. The city makes a great base for exploring the rest of this beautiful country no matter what time of year you visit, so no excuses!
Philadelphia to Edinburgh on American Airlines (daily thru October 26, 2019):
- AA278 Philadelphia (PHL) 9:00pm Departure → Edinburgh (EDI) 9:10am (+1) Arrival
- AA279 Edinburgh (EDI) 10:45am Departure → Philadelphia (PHL) 1:40pm Arrival
Delta Debuts New Domestic and International Flights With Help of Two Airline Partners (Launched April 1, 12 and 22)
Details — Delta’s airline partner Virgin Atlantic launched an additional daytime flight between Boston (BOS) and London (LHR) on April 1 aboard its A330-300, while Korean Air began nonstop flights five times per week on April 12 from BOS to Seoul (ICN), operating Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday with its 787-9 Dreamliner. New daily nonstop routes between Seattle (SEA) and Osaka (KIX) as well as Minneapolis (MSP) and Seoul (ICN) are now operating daily aboard Delta’s 767-300ER and 777-200ER aircraft, respectively. On the domestic front, the carrier also expanded service from its BOS hub to Cleveland (CLE), Pittsburgh (PIT), Jacksonville (JAX) and Nashville (BNA) and launched a daily nonstop hop between Atlanta (ATL) and Ontario, California (ONT), on April 22. Note that on Google Flights, the second daily flight for the ATL–ONT route doesn’t appear on the schedule until June 17, 2019.
Boston to London (new daytime flight on Virgin Atlantic as of April 1, 2019):
- VS158 Boston (BOS) 8:15am Departure → London (LHR) 7:50pm Arrival
- VS11 London (LHR) 3:55pm Departure → Boston (BOS) 6:40pm Arrival
Seattle to Osaka (daily as of April 1):
- DL183 Seattle (SEA) 11:57am Departure → Osaka (KIX) 3:50pm (+1) Arrival
- DL182 Osaka (KIX) 4:00pm Departure → Seattle (SEA) 9:44am Arrival
Minneapolis to Seoul (daily as of April 1):
- DL171 Minneapolis (MSP) 2:30pm Departure → Seoul (ICN) 5:20pm (+1) Arrival
- DL170 Seoul (ICN) 7:40pm Departure → Minneapolis (MSP) 5:48pm Arrival
Boston to Seoul (5x per week via Korean Air as of April 12):
- KE92 Boston (BOS) 1:25pm Departure → Seoul (ICN) 4:25pm (+1) Arrival
- KE91 Seoul (ICN) 9:30am Departure → Boston (BOS) 10:30am Arrival
Atlanta to Ontario, CA (daily as of April 22):
- DL373 Atlanta (ATL) 8:30am Departure → Ontario, CA (ONT) 9:58am Arrival
- DL373 Ontario, CA (ONT) 10:50am Departure → Atlanta (ATL) 6:14pm Arrival
A second daily flight from ATL–ONT will be added as of June 17, 2019:
- DL730 Atlanta (ATL) 7:32pm Departure → Ontario, CA (ONT) 9:01pm Arrival
- DL862 Ontario (ONT) 10:45pm Departure → Atlanta (ATL) 5:56am (+1) Arrival
More Domestic Flights From Sarasota and Phoenix on Allegiant Air (Launched April 3, 4 and 5)
Details — If you’re anywhere near Sarasota, Florida (SRQ), it may feel as if you’ve just won the travel jackpot. Ultra-low-cost carrier Allegiant Air, which also applied to the US Department of Transportation this month in hopes of starting up service to Mexico, recently launched twice-weekly nonstop flights from SRQ to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania (MDT), Syracuse (SYR), Cleveland (CLE), Columbus (LCK), Richmond (RIC), Grand Rapids (GRR) and Nashville (BNA). Also noteworthy is its new route from Phoenix-Mesa (AZA) to Grand Junction (GJT), which operates three times per week.
Launched April 3, 2019 (2x per week):
- Sarasota (SRQ) – Harrisburg, PA (MDT)
- Sarasota (SRQ) – Syracuse (SYR)
Launched April 4, 2019 (2x per week):
- Sarasota (SRQ) – Cleveland (CLE)
- Sarasota (SRQ) – Columbus/Rickenbacker (LCK)
- Sarasota (SRQ) – Richmond, VA (RIC)
Launched April 5, 2019 (2x per week, AZA–GJT operates 3x per week):
- Sarasota (SRQ) – Grand Rapids (GRR)
- Sarasota (SRQ) – Nashville (BNA)
- Phoenix (AZA) – Grand Junction (GJT); 3x per week
NEW ROUTES ANNOUNCED IN APRIL 2019
JetBlue and Delta to Fly to London from Boston and NYC
Details — At long last, JetBlue has revealed exciting plans to launch nonstop service to London from Boston (BOS) and New York (JFK) in 2021, but it has yet to decide which of London’s airports it will fly into. At the same time, Delta announced its own plans to begin flying from BOS and JFK to London’s Gatwick Airport (LGW) starting next year, and will use its Boeing 767-400s. JetBlue will apparently go ahead with its Airbus A321LR aircraft, which will feature a “reimagined version of Mint” for those traveling aboard the carrier’s first-ever transatlantic service. No details for launch dates or flight times have been released yet, but stay tuned to TPG as we continue to follow these developing stories.
Pending: Seasonal Service on United from Newark to Cape Town
Details — If everything goes according to plan, you’ll soon be able to fly nonstop from Newark (EWR) to Cape Town (CPT) thanks to United Airlines’ proposed seasonal service. While it’s still subject to government approval, the plan is for three flights per week to run on Sunday, Wednesday and Friday aboard the carrier’s 787-9 Dreamliner beginning December 15 — just in time for summer in one of South Africa’s most picturesque cities — until the end of March 2020. Just a couple of days ago, United started selling tickets on this unique flight — don’t hesitate to book that bucket-list South Africa trip!
Schedule (3x per week from December 15, 2019, through March 2020):
- UA Newark (EWR) 8:30pm Departure → Cape Town (CPT) 6:00pm (+1) Arrival
- UA Cape Town (CPT) 8:50pm Departure → Newark (EWR) 5:45pm (+1) Arrival
Eurowings Will Soon Offer Flights Between Las Vegas and Frankfurt
Details — Starting October 27, 2019, Lufthansa’s budget-friendly affiliate airline, Eurowings, is expected to launch thrice-weekly nonstop flights on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday between Las Vegas (LAS) and Frankfurt (FRA) aboard the carrier’s A330-200 aircraft, a great option for folks on the West Coast itching to visit Europe for less.
Schedule (3x per week):
- LH5437 Las Vegas (LAS) 4:40pm Departure → Frankfurt (FRA) 11:55am (+1) Arrival
- LH5436 Frankfurt (FRA) 10:35am Departure → Las Vegas (LAS) 1:40pm Arrival
New Flights on United from Washington, DC to Southwest Florida
Details — United is making it easier for travelers in Washington, DC (IAD), to escape the chill this autumn with twice-daily nonstop connections to Sarasota (SRQ) and Fort Myers (RSW) expected to begin October 29, 2019. Also on deck for United in October is an extension of its seasonal winter service between Miami (MIA) and IAD, which usually doesn’t start until December.
Washington, DC to Sarasota (2x daily):
- UA6059 Washington, DC (IAD) 8:15am Departure → Sarasota-Bradenton (SRQ) 10:49am Arrival
- UA6266 Sarasota-Bradenton (SRQ) 9:15am Departure → Washington, DC (IAD) 11:30am Arrival
- UA6204 Washington, DC (IAD) 5:15pm Departure → Sarasota-Bradenton (SRQ) 7:49pm Arrival
- UA6258 Sarasota-Bradenton (SRQ) 1:33pm Departure → Washington, DC (IAD) 3:48pm Arrival
Washington, DC to Fort Myers (2x daily):
- UA1586 Washington, DC, 8:30am Departure → Fort Myers (RSW) 11:17am Arrival
- UA2219 Fort Myers (RSW) 9:00am Departure → Washington, DC 11:22am Arrival
- UA2180 Washington, DC (IAD) 5:20pm Departure → Fort Myers (RSW) 8:07pm Arrival
- UA2274 Fort Myers (RSW) 1:51pm Departure → Washington, DC (IAD) 4:13pm Arrival
More Domestic Flights Coming Soon to Sun Country Airlines
Details — Low-cost carrier Sun Country announced six new nonstop routes slated to launch this fall. As of September 5, 2019, you can expect new flights between Las Vegas (LAS) and Providence (PVD) five times a week on Monday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday; LAS and Redmond, WA (RDM), twice weekly on Thursday and Sunday; LAS and St. Louis (STL) twice weekly on Thursday and Sunday; and LAS and San Antonio (SAT) four times a week on Monday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday. Nonstop hops between New Orleans (MSY) and PVD will operate three times a week on Monday, Wednesday and Friday starting September 6, while Portland (PDX) to San Diego (SAN) service will run twice weekly on Thursday and Sunday starting October 3 — note that this will change to four times per week with Monday and Wednesday service added to the mix on November 10. All routes will be operated by Sun Country’s 737-800 aircraft.
Launching September 5, 2019:
- Las Vegas (LAS) – Providence (PVD), 5x per week
- Las Vegas (LAS) – Redmond, WA (RDM), 2x per week
- Las Vegas (LAS) – St. Louis (STL), 2x per week
- Las Vegas (LAS) – San Antonio (SAT), 4x per week
Launching September 6, 2019:
- New Orleans (MSY) – Providence (PVD), 3x per week
Launching October 3, 2019:
- Portland (PDX) – San Diego (SAN), 2x per week; then 4x per week on November 10
Which of these new routes are you most excited about?
Featured photo of Milan by ventdusud / Getty Images.
Know before you go.
News and deals straight to your inbox every day.
NEW INCREASED OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- Chase Sapphire Preferred named "Best Credit Card for Flexible Travel Redemption" - Kiplinger's Personal Finance, June 2018
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- No foreign transaction fees
- 1:1 point transfer to leading airline and hotel loyalty programs
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No blackout dates or travel restrictions - as long as there's a seat on the flight, you can book it through Chase Ultimate Rewards