Budget Airline Eurowings Unveils Lie-Flat Business Class
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Here’s an interesting development in the aviation world: Eurowings, the low-cost subsidiary of Lufthansa, has announced its new business class, possibly making it the first budget airline in Europe to offer fully lie flat seats.
Eurowings posted a picture of its new product, which looks exactly like Lufthansa’s business class, except in a different color scheme.
BIZclass, as Eurowings has dubbed the seats, will go into service by the end of April 2018 on selected long-haul flights. The airline will debut the product in person at ITB Berlin, an airline trade show, in March 2018. Eurowings operates seven A330s, one 767 and will also get six A340s from its parent company, although its unclear what aircraft will get the new seats.
Eurowings is a subsidiary of Lufthansa so it makes sense that they’d install the same seats that Lufthansa uses for its business class, although it’s a bit odd that they are doing a whole reveal as some on Twitter pointed out.
Here’s Lufthansa’s business class for comparison:
A Eurowings press release said they are the first budget carrier to offer fully flat seats, which is incorrect. Both Malaysia-based AirAsia X and Brazilian LCC Azul offer flat bed seats on their A330s. What’s more likely is that Eurowings is the first budget carrier in Europe to offer lie flat seats — Norwegian and WOW both have recliner seats as their “business” products. Some would argue that’s not even true, as the now defunct AirBerlin had flat bed seat. Whether or not it was actually a budget carrier is up for debate.
Eurowings flies from Germany to six US destinations seasonally, including Fort Myers (RSW), Las Vegas (LAS), Miami (MIA), New York (JFK), Orlando (MCO) and Seattle (SEA). You can redeem United miles on the carrier since it’s part of Star Alliance as a Lufthansa subsidiary. That said I couldn’t find any award availability on any Eurowings flights from the US to Germany, just intra-European routes like Dusseldorf (DUS) to London (LHR).
The airline said it will keep its existing booking classes of Basic, Smart and Best (premium economy) in addition to its new business class. Business class will also offer “special catering and a few other new services.”
Featured photo by DANIEL ROLAND/AFP/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees