Paid Fares and Award Rates for United’s New Cape Town Nonstop
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Subject to government approval, United will begin flying to Cape Town, South Africa (CPT), later this year. As of Tuesday, the airline’s latest planned route is now officially on sale, with the first flight scheduled to depart Newark (EWR) at 8:30pm on Dec. 15, 2019, on the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner.
As of now, United is showing the old 2-2-2 business-class configuration, but with retrofitted aircraft expected to enter service later this year, there’s a small chance that the new CPT nonstop will launch with Polaris seats, instead.
While business class isn’t available on the inaugural itself, there are plenty of economy seats for sale. One-way fares are astronomically high, however, so you’ll want to book a round-trip or multi-city itinerary, instead.
If the lowest fares are what you’re after, you’ll want to wait until later in the season — rates drop considerably after January.
Economy tickets start at $956 round-trip — not a deal-worthy fare, of course, but competitive for a nonstop. “W” fares, which are required for elite members to apply upgrade certificates, can be had for $1,398 round-trip. United doesn’t appear to be selling basic economy on this route, and hopefully that’ll still be the case at launch.
Business-class seats can be booked starting at $3,814 round-trip, though the fares are double that amount on many dates.
Award rates are steep, unfortunately, since United hasn’t opened lower-level economy or business-class space and the inaugural begins after the airline’s new dynamic pricing kicks in. As a result, you’re looking at some pretty unbelievable one-way economy redemptions:
And business class is hardly a bargain as well — the lowest redemptions I’m seeing there start at 207,000 miles each way, worth $2,890 based on our valuations.
We can hold out hope that rates will drop as we get closer to launch, though I’m not terribly optimistic. United’s new EWR-CPT flight only operates three days a week, and for a period of just over three months, from Dec. 15, 2019 through March 27, 2020. I think demand will be especially high, given the short run-time, and how far in advance the airline announced service. And while these nonstop United flights may eventually be bookable at far lower rates through partners, that doesn’t appear to be the case right now.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.