United Will Retrofit 787-8s and -9s With New Polaris Seats Starting This Year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s finally happening, United has announced its upgrading the business class seats on its widebody aircraft that are used on some of its longest international routes.
United said it will start retrofitting its Boeing 787-8 and 787-9 Dreamliner aircraft with its new Polaris seats, replacing the current sub-par option that’s been on the aircraft since 2014. The airline says that the first -8 or -9 will be reconfigured with the new seat by the end of 2019.
Until now, United hadn’t announced when it would be upgrading its Dreamliners, the first being delivered almost five years ago. Currently, you’ll find these less private seats laid out in a 2-2-2 configuration.
In 2016, United announced an overhaul to its premium product offering, getting rid of first class and upgrading business class seats to its new Polaris business class product that features semi-enclosed suites with direct aisle access and upgraded amenities like Saks Fifth Avenue bedding.
United just took delivery of its first 787-10, which features the new seat, and it’s configured in a 1-2-1 layout. Since the -8s and -9s are the same width as the -10, it’s likely United will use the same layout.
“We’re trying to get the reconfigurations done as aggressively as possible.” United’s Vice-President of Marketing Mark Krolick told Australian Business Traveller.
The airline is currently flying 37 -8s and -9s with the old seats, but hopes to have the first aircraft refitted by the end of this year.
“By the end of 2020, we should have the majority of the international widebody fleet reconfigured… the only possible exceptions to that would be any aircraft that are slated for immediate retirement,” Krolick said.
According United’s Polaris tracker, the airline has already reconfigured 13 of 14 Boeing 767-300ERs, 13 of 51 Boeing 777-200s and all of its 777-300ERs and 787-10s were delivered to the airline with the new seats. However, United is still operating quite a few 767s with the older seats (these are not included in the Polaris tracker), it’s unclear if and when these will get reconfigured.
The changes will not just affect business class — the airline plans on rolling out its new premium economy Premium Plus seats on the -8s and -9s.
United’s just opened its fifth Polaris lounge in Los Angeles (LAX) and plans on building four more in the coming years. United is still taking -9 deliveries from Boeing, although all those will be delivered with the new seat.
United confirmed with TPG that 787 retrofits are expected to begin in the fourth quarter of the year.
For more on United Polaris, read our in-depth guide that explains everything you need to know about the product, from how to book with miles and which routes to find it on.
Featured image by Zach Honig / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees