Delta Will Fly From New York and Boston to London-Gatwick
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta is betting on London by announcing two new nonstop options from the United States. Beginning in 2020, Delta will become the lone US-based airline to fly into London-Gatwick (LGW), with daily trips between New York JFK and Boston.
Gatwick will be the eighth nonstop transatlantic destination from Boston on Delta and its partners, which together offer up to 13 daily flights between Boston and Europe. In New York, the additional flight will be on top of Delta and Virgin’s combined eight daily flights to London Heathrow and three additional daily flights to Edinburgh, Glasgow and Manchester from Delta’s JFK hub.
Delta’s making us wait when it comes to schedule details, only saying that there will be more to come “later this year.” There’s no word yet, as well, on what kind of aircraft will serve the route. Once flights commence, it will mark a notable return for a US airline to what is currently London’s second largest airport in terms of passengers served. Gatwick has seen nonstop flights from US carriers before, but it’s been a few years.
Getting more flights into Heathrow is expensive and hard, since the busiest airport in Europe is operating near its maximum capacity — in order to grow, Delta can send larger planes there, or it can expand into Gatwick.
Delta loyalists will appreciate that LGW was the destination for Delta’s very first transatlantic flight more than 40 years ago, when service began from Atlanta.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image of a Delta Boeing 767 by Darren Murph / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees