Delta Will Fly From New York and Boston to London-Gatwick
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta is betting on London by announcing two new nonstop options from the United States. Beginning in 2020, Delta will become the lone US-based airline to fly into London-Gatwick (LGW), with daily trips between New York JFK and Boston.
Gatwick will be the eighth nonstop transatlantic destination from Boston on Delta and its partners, which together offer up to 13 daily flights between Boston and Europe. In New York, the additional flight will be on top of Delta and Virgin’s combined eight daily flights to London Heathrow and three additional daily flights to Edinburgh, Glasgow and Manchester from Delta’s JFK hub.
Delta’s making us wait when it comes to schedule details, only saying that there will be more to come “later this year.” There’s no word yet, as well, on what kind of aircraft will serve the route. Once flights commence, it will mark a notable return for a US airline to what is currently London’s second largest airport in terms of passengers served. Gatwick has seen nonstop flights from US carriers before, but it’s been a few years.
Getting more flights into Heathrow is expensive and hard, since the busiest airport in Europe is operating near its maximum capacity — in order to grow, Delta can send larger planes there, or it can expand into Gatwick.
Delta loyalists will appreciate that LGW was the destination for Delta’s very first transatlantic flight more than 40 years ago, when service began from Atlanta.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured image of a Delta Boeing 767 by Darren Murph / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.