The 10 longest (and 10 shortest) United Airlines flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore Airlines made global headlines last year when it relaunched its Newark-Singapore flight. The 9,534-mile flight allowed the carrier to reclaim the title of having the “world’s longest flight,” bumping Qatar Airways and its 9,032-mile Doha-Auckland, New Zealand, flight out of the top spot.
Another title shift could happen in the coming years if Qantas Airways decides to push ahead with its “Project Sunrise” flights. The Australian carrier made headlines of its own this fall as it tested several ultra-long flights to Sydney – including from New York and from London – to great fanfare. Each would be longer than Singapore’s current record-holder, and Qantas days it will decide soon whether to press ahead. If it does, flights could begin in 2023.
But have you ever wondered what the longest flight is on your preferred carrier? Or the shortest? Given all the buzz about long flights recently, we decided to see what clocked in as the longest and shortest flights for each of the 11 biggest U.S. carriers.
What did we find? Today we look at United, the last in our look at the 11 biggest U.S. airlines. Its longest route on the December schedule is Houston-Sydney while its shortest is the 66-mile hop it operates between San Francisco and the Charles M. Schulz–Sonoma County Airport near Santa Rosa, California.
- Houston Bush Intercontinental (IAH) – Sydney, Australia (SYD): 8,591 miles
- San Francisco (SFO) – Singapore (SIN): 8,433 miles
- Newark (EWR) – Hong Kong (HKG): 8,045 miles
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Melbourne, Australia (MEL): 7,922 miles
- Melbourne (MEL) – San Francisco (SFO): 7,857 miles
- Cape Town (CPT) – Newark (EWR): 7,819 miles
- Mumbai (BOM) – Newark (EWR): 7,790 miles
- New Delhi (DEL) – San Francisco (SFO): 7,688 miles
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Sydney, Australia (SYD): 7,489 miles
- San Francisco (SFO) – Sydney,Australia (SYD): 7,420 miles
- San Francisco (SFO) – Santa Rosa/Sonoma County, California (STS): 66 miles
- Colorado Springs (COS) – Denver (DEN): 67 miles
- Milwaukee (MKE) – Chicago O’Hare (ORD): 67 miles
- College Station, Texas (CLL) – Houston Bush Intercontinental (IAH): 74 miles
- Monterey, California (MRY) – San Francisco (SFO): 77 miles
- Charlottesville, Virginia (CHO) – Washington Dulles (IAD): 77 miles
- Chicago O’Hare (ORD) – South Bend, Indiana (SBN): 84 miles
- San Francisco (SFO) – Sacramento (SMF): 86 miles
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Santa Barbara, California (SBA): 88 miles
- Washington Dulles (IAD) – Shenandoah Valley, Virginia (SHD): 91 miles
Source: United Airlines. Flights based based on regularly schedule flights during the carrier’s December schedule. Next update: March 2020.
Note: This post updates and replaces a previous post that looked at the longest and shortest flights offered by United.
For more info about the airline, check out TPG’s United Airlines by the numbers post.
Featured photo by Zach Griff / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.