The 10 longest (and 10 shortest) United Airlines flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore Airlines made global headlines last year when it relaunched its Newark-Singapore flight. The 9,534-mile flight allowed the carrier to reclaim the title of having the “world’s longest flight,” bumping Qatar Airways and its 9,032-mile Doha-Auckland, New Zealand, flight out of the top spot.
Another title shift could happen in the coming years if Qantas Airways decides to push ahead with its “Project Sunrise” flights. The Australian carrier made headlines of its own this fall as it tested several ultra-long flights to Sydney – including from New York and from London – to great fanfare. Each would be longer than Singapore’s current record-holder, and Qantas days it will decide soon whether to press ahead. If it does, flights could begin in 2023.
But have you ever wondered what the longest flight is on your preferred carrier? Or the shortest? Given all the buzz about long flights recently, we decided to see what clocked in as the longest and shortest flights for each of the 11 biggest U.S. carriers.
What did we find? Today we look at United, the last in our look at the 11 biggest U.S. airlines. Its longest route on the December schedule is Houston-Sydney while its shortest is the 66-mile hop it operates between San Francisco and the Charles M. Schulz–Sonoma County Airport near Santa Rosa, California.
- Houston Bush Intercontinental (IAH) – Sydney, Australia (SYD): 8,591 miles
- San Francisco (SFO) – Singapore (SIN): 8,433 miles
- Newark (EWR) – Hong Kong (HKG): 8,045 miles
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Melbourne, Australia (MEL): 7,922 miles
- Melbourne (MEL) – San Francisco (SFO): 7,857 miles
- Cape Town (CPT) – Newark (EWR): 7,819 miles
- Mumbai (BOM) – Newark (EWR): 7,790 miles
- New Delhi (DEL) – San Francisco (SFO): 7,688 miles
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Sydney, Australia (SYD): 7,489 miles
- San Francisco (SFO) – Sydney,Australia (SYD): 7,420 miles
- San Francisco (SFO) – Santa Rosa/Sonoma County, California (STS): 66 miles
- Colorado Springs (COS) – Denver (DEN): 67 miles
- Milwaukee (MKE) – Chicago O’Hare (ORD): 67 miles
- College Station, Texas (CLL) – Houston Bush Intercontinental (IAH): 74 miles
- Monterey, California (MRY) – San Francisco (SFO): 77 miles
- Charlottesville, Virginia (CHO) – Washington Dulles (IAD): 77 miles
- Chicago O’Hare (ORD) – South Bend, Indiana (SBN): 84 miles
- San Francisco (SFO) – Sacramento (SMF): 86 miles
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Santa Barbara, California (SBA): 88 miles
- Washington Dulles (IAD) – Shenandoah Valley, Virginia (SHD): 91 miles
Source: United Airlines. Flights based based on regularly schedule flights during the carrier’s December schedule. Next update: March 2020.
Note: This post updates and replaces a previous post that looked at the longest and shortest flights offered by United.
For more info about the airline, check out TPG’s United Airlines by the numbers post.
Featured photo by Zach Griff / The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees