The 10 longest (and 10 shortest) Southwest Airlines flights
Singapore Airlines made global headlines last year when it relaunched its Newark-Singapore flight. The 9,534-mile flight allowed the carrier to reclaim the title of having the “world’s longest flight,” bumping Qatar Airways and its 9,032-mile Doha-Auckland, New Zealand, flight out of the top spot.
Another title shift could happen in the coming years if Qantas Airways decides to push ahead with its “Project Sunrise” flights. The Australian carrier made headlines of its own this fall as it tested several ultra-long flights to Sydney – including from New York and from London – to great fanfare. Each would be longer than Singapore’s current record-holder, and Qantas days it will decide soon whether to press ahead. If it does, flights could begin in 2023.
But have you ever wondered what the longest flight is on your preferred carrier? Or the shortest? Given all the buzz about long flights recently, we decided to see what clocked in as the longest and shortest flights for each of the 11 biggest U.S. carriers.
What did we find? Today we look at Southwest Airlines. Its longest route on the December schedule is Sacramento-Honolulu while its shortest is the 101-mile inter-island flight it operates between Kahului and Honolulu in Hawaii.
- Sacramento (SMF) – Honolulu (HNL): 2,462 miles
- Baltimore (BWI) – Oakland (OAK): 2,446 miles
- Baltimore (BWI) – San Jose, California (SJC): 2,439 miles
- Orlando (MCO) – Oakland (OAK): 2,438 miles
- Orlando (MCO) – San Jose, California (SJC): 2,421 miles
- San Jose (SJC) – Honolulu (HNL): 2,417 miles
- Oakland (OAK) – Honolulu (HNL): 2,409 miles
- Orlando (MCO) – Sacramento (SMF): 2,408 miles
- Baltimore (BWI) – Sacramento (SMF): 2,395 miles
- San Jose, California (SJC) – Kahului, Hawaii (OGG): 2,355 miles
- Kahului, Hawaii (OGG) – Honolulu (HNL): 101 miles
- Lihue, Hawaii (LIH) – Honolulu (HNL): 102 miles
- Grand Rapids, Michigan (GRR) – Chicago (MDW): 137 miles
- Houston Hobby (HOU) – Austin (AUS): 148 miles
- Greenville/Spartanburg, South Carolina (GSP) – Atlanta (ATL): 153 miles
- Baltimore (BWI) – Norfolk, Virginia (ORF): 159 miles
- Chicago (MDW) – Indianapolis (IND): 162 miles
- Kona, Hawaii (KOA) – Honolulu (HNL): 163 miles
- Orlando (MCO) – Fort Lauderdale (FLL): 177 miles
- Reno (RNO) – Oakland (OAK): 181 miles
Source: Southwest Airlines. Flights based based on regularly scheduled flights during the carrier’s December schedule. Next update: March 2020.
For more info about the airline, check out TPG’s Southwest Airlines by the numbers post.
Featured photo by Patrick T. Fallon for The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.