The 10 longest (and 10 shortest) Southwest Airlines flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore Airlines made global headlines last year when it relaunched its Newark-Singapore flight. The 9,534-mile flight allowed the carrier to reclaim the title of having the “world’s longest flight,” bumping Qatar Airways and its 9,032-mile Doha-Auckland, New Zealand, flight out of the top spot.
Another title shift could happen in the coming years if Qantas Airways decides to push ahead with its “Project Sunrise” flights. The Australian carrier made headlines of its own this fall as it tested several ultra-long flights to Sydney – including from New York and from London – to great fanfare. Each would be longer than Singapore’s current record-holder, and Qantas days it will decide soon whether to press ahead. If it does, flights could begin in 2023.
But have you ever wondered what the longest flight is on your preferred carrier? Or the shortest? Given all the buzz about long flights recently, we decided to see what clocked in as the longest and shortest flights for each of the 11 biggest U.S. carriers.
What did we find? Today we look at Southwest Airlines. Its longest route on the December schedule is Sacramento-Honolulu while its shortest is the 101-mile inter-island flight it operates between Kahului and Honolulu in Hawaii.
- Sacramento (SMF) – Honolulu (HNL): 2,462 miles
- Baltimore (BWI) – Oakland (OAK): 2,446 miles
- Baltimore (BWI) – San Jose, California (SJC): 2,439 miles
- Orlando (MCO) – Oakland (OAK): 2,438 miles
- Orlando (MCO) – San Jose, California (SJC): 2,421 miles
- San Jose (SJC) – Honolulu (HNL): 2,417 miles
- Oakland (OAK) – Honolulu (HNL): 2,409 miles
- Orlando (MCO) – Sacramento (SMF): 2,408 miles
- Baltimore (BWI) – Sacramento (SMF): 2,395 miles
- San Jose, California (SJC) – Kahului, Hawaii (OGG): 2,355 miles
- Kahului, Hawaii (OGG) – Honolulu (HNL): 101 miles
- Lihue, Hawaii (LIH) – Honolulu (HNL): 102 miles
- Grand Rapids, Michigan (GRR) – Chicago (MDW): 137 miles
- Houston Hobby (HOU) – Austin (AUS): 148 miles
- Greenville/Spartanburg, South Carolina (GSP) – Atlanta (ATL): 153 miles
- Baltimore (BWI) – Norfolk, Virginia (ORF): 159 miles
- Chicago (MDW) – Indianapolis (IND): 162 miles
- Kona, Hawaii (KOA) – Honolulu (HNL): 163 miles
- Orlando (MCO) – Fort Lauderdale (FLL): 177 miles
- Reno (RNO) – Oakland (OAK): 181 miles
Source: Southwest Airlines. Flights based based on regularly scheduled flights during the carrier’s December schedule. Next update: March 2020.
For more info about the airline, check out TPG’s Southwest Airlines by the numbers post.
Featured photo by Patrick T. Fallon for The Points Guy.
- Earn up to 100,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs). Earn 80,000 bonus miles and 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $5,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Plus, earn an additional 20,000 bonus miles after your first anniversary of Card Membership. Offer Expires 4/1/2020.
- New! With Status Boost™, earn 15,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $30,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to four times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- New! Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases.
- Earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Complimentary access into the Delta SkyClubs® for you when traveling on a Delta flight.
- New! Enjoy complimentary access to The Centurion® Lounge when you book your Delta flight with your Reserve Card.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free and Main Cabin 1 Priority Boarding on Delta flights.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $550 annual fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees