The 10 longest (and 10 shortest) American Airlines flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore Airlines made global headlines last year when it relaunched its Newark-Singapore flight. The 9,534-mile flight allowed the carrier to reclaim the title of having the “world’s longest flight,” bumping Qatar Airways and its 9,032-mile Doha-Auckland, New Zealand, flight out of the top spot.
Another title shift could happen in the coming years if Qantas Airways decides to push ahead with its “Project Sunrise” flights. The Australian carrier made headlines of its own this fall as it tested several ultra-long flights to Sydney – including from New York and from London – to great fanfare. Each would be longer than Singapore’s current record-holder, and Qantas days it will decide soon whether to press ahead. If it does, flights could begin in 2023.
But have you ever wondered what the longest flight is on your preferred carrier? Or the shortest? Given all the buzz about long flights recently, we decided to see what clocked in as the longest and shortest flights for each of the 11 biggest U.S. carriers.
What did we find? Today we look at American Airlines. Its longest route on the December schedule is Dallas/Fort Worth-Hong Kong while its shortest is the 55-mile hop it operates between Philadelphia and the Lehigh Valley International Airport near Allentown, Pennsylvania.
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) – Hong Kong (HKG): 8,111 miles
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Sydney, Australia (SYD) 7,487 miles
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) – Shanghai (PVG): 7,351 miles
- Hong Kong (HKG) – Los Angeles (LAX): 7,260 miles
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) – Beijing (PEK): 6,971 miles
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) – Seoul (ICN): 6,826 miles
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Auckland (AKL): 6,504 miles
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Shanghai (PVG): 6,485 miles
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) – Tokyo (NRT): 6,427 miles
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Beijing (PEK): 6,251 miles
- Philadelphia (PHL) – Allentown, Pennsylvania (ABE): 55 miles
- Chicago O’Hare (ORD) – Milwaukee (MKE): 67 miles
- Greenville/Spartanburg, South Carolina (GSP) – Charlotte (CLT): 76 miles
- Greensboro, North Carolina (GSO) – Charlotte (CLT): 82 miles
- Philadelphia (PHL) – Harrisburg, Pennsylvania (MDT): 83 miles
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) – Waco, Texas (ACT): 89 miles
- Charlotte (CLT) – Columbia, South Carolina (CAE): 89 miles
- Philadelphia (PHL) – Baltimore (BWI): 90 miles
- Charlotte (CLT) – Asheville, North Carolina (AVL): 92 miles
- Philadelphia (PHL) – New York (JFK): 94 miles
Source: American Airlines. Flights based based on regularly scheduled flights during the carrier’s December schedule. Next update: March 2020.
For more info about the airline, check out TPG’s American Airlines by the numbers post.
Featured photo by JT Genter/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees