The 10 longest (and 10 shortest) American Airlines flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore Airlines made global headlines last year when it relaunched its Newark-Singapore flight. The 9,534-mile flight allowed the carrier to reclaim the title of having the “world’s longest flight,” bumping Qatar Airways and its 9,032-mile Doha-Auckland, New Zealand, flight out of the top spot.
Another title shift could happen in the coming years if Qantas Airways decides to push ahead with its “Project Sunrise” flights. The Australian carrier made headlines of its own this fall as it tested several ultra-long flights to Sydney – including from New York and from London – to great fanfare. Each would be longer than Singapore’s current record-holder, and Qantas days it will decide soon whether to press ahead. If it does, flights could begin in 2023.
But have you ever wondered what the longest flight is on your preferred carrier? Or the shortest? Given all the buzz about long flights recently, we decided to see what clocked in as the longest and shortest flights for each of the 11 biggest U.S. carriers.
What did we find? Today we look at American Airlines. Its longest route on the December schedule is Dallas/Fort Worth-Hong Kong while its shortest is the 55-mile hop it operates between Philadelphia and the Lehigh Valley International Airport near Allentown, Pennsylvania.
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) – Hong Kong (HKG): 8,111 miles
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Sydney, Australia (SYD) 7,487 miles
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) – Shanghai (PVG): 7,351 miles
- Hong Kong (HKG) – Los Angeles (LAX): 7,260 miles
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) – Beijing (PEK): 6,971 miles
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) – Seoul (ICN): 6,826 miles
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Auckland (AKL): 6,504 miles
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Shanghai (PVG): 6,485 miles
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) – Tokyo (NRT): 6,427 miles
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Beijing (PEK): 6,251 miles
- Philadelphia (PHL) – Allentown, Pennsylvania (ABE): 55 miles
- Chicago O’Hare (ORD) – Milwaukee (MKE): 67 miles
- Greenville/Spartanburg, South Carolina (GSP) – Charlotte (CLT): 76 miles
- Greensboro, North Carolina (GSO) – Charlotte (CLT): 82 miles
- Philadelphia (PHL) – Harrisburg, Pennsylvania (MDT): 83 miles
- Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) – Waco, Texas (ACT): 89 miles
- Charlotte (CLT) – Columbia, South Carolina (CAE): 89 miles
- Philadelphia (PHL) – Baltimore (BWI): 90 miles
- Charlotte (CLT) – Asheville, North Carolina (AVL): 92 miles
- Philadelphia (PHL) – New York (JFK): 94 miles
Source: American Airlines. Flights based based on regularly scheduled flights during the carrier’s December schedule. Next update: March 2020.
For more info about the airline, check out TPG’s American Airlines by the numbers post.
Featured photo by JT Genter/The Points Guy.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.