The 10 longest (and 10 shortest) Delta Air Lines flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore Airlines made global headlines last year when it relaunched its Newark-Singapore flight. The 9,534-mile flight allowed the carrier to reclaim the title of having the “world’s longest flight,” bumping Qatar Airways and its 9,032-mile Doha-Auckland, New Zealand, flight out of the top spot.
Another title shift could happen in the coming years if Qantas Airways decides to push ahead with its “Project Sunrise” flights. The Australian carrier made headlines of its own this fall as it tested several ultra-long flights to Sydney – including from New York and from London – to great fanfare. Each would be longer than Singapore’s current record-holder, and Qantas says it will decide soon whether to press ahead. If it does, flights could begin in 2023.
But have you ever wondered what the longest flight is on your preferred carrier? Or the shortest? Given all the buzz about long flights recently, we decided to see what clocked in as the longest and shortest flights for each of the 11 biggest U.S. carriers.
What did we find? Today we look at Delta Air Lines. Its longest route on the December schedule is Atlanta-Johannesburg while its shortest is the 74-mile hop it operates between Detroit and Lansing, Michigan.
- Atlanta (ATL) – Johannesburg (JNB): 8,433 miles
- Mumbai (BOM) – New York (JFK): 7,797 miles
- Atlanta (ATL) – Shanghai (PVG): 7,659 miles
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Sydney, Australia (SYD): 7,487 miles
- Atlanta (ATL) – Seoul (ICN): 7,139
- Detroit (DTW) – Shanghai (PVG): 7,137 miles
- Atlanta (ATL) – Tokyo (NRT): 6,850 miles
- Detroit (DTW) – Beijing (PEK): 6,632 miles
- Detroit (DTW) – Seoul (ICN): 6,624 miles
- Detroit (DTW) – Nagoya, Japan (NGO): 6,552 miles
- Detroit (DTW) – Lansing, Michigan (LAN): 74 miles
- Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) – Rochester, Minnesota (RST): 76 miles
- Atlanta (ATL) – Columbus, Georgia (CSG): 83 miles
- Cleveland (CLE) – Detroit (DTW): 95 miles
- Detroit (DTW) – Saginaw/Bay City, Michigan (MBS): 98 miles
- Atlanta (ATL) – Chattanooga, Tennessee (CHA): 106 miles
- Los Angeles (LAX) – San Diego (SAN): 109 miles
- Kalamazoo, Michigan (AZO) – Detroit (DTW): 113 miles
- Detroit (DTW) – Grand Rapids, Michigan (GRR): 120 miles
- Seattle (SEA) – Vancouver, British Columbia (YVR): 127 miles
*Certain regional flights are operated and planned by affiliates independently of Delta’s scheduling teams and are not included.
Source: Delta Air Lines. Flights based based on regularly scheduled flights during the carrier’s December schedule. Next update: March 2020.
For more info about the airline, check out TPG’s Delta Air Lines by the numbers post.
Featured photo by Daniel Ross/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees