The 10 longest (and 10 shortest) Delta Air Lines flights
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Singapore Airlines made global headlines last year when it relaunched its Newark-Singapore flight. The 9,534-mile flight allowed the carrier to reclaim the title of having the “world’s longest flight,” bumping Qatar Airways and its 9,032-mile Doha-Auckland, New Zealand, flight out of the top spot.
Another title shift could happen in the coming years if Qantas Airways decides to push ahead with its “Project Sunrise” flights. The Australian carrier made headlines of its own this fall as it tested several ultra-long flights to Sydney – including from New York and from London – to great fanfare. Each would be longer than Singapore’s current record-holder, and Qantas says it will decide soon whether to press ahead. If it does, flights could begin in 2023.
But have you ever wondered what the longest flight is on your preferred carrier? Or the shortest? Given all the buzz about long flights recently, we decided to see what clocked in as the longest and shortest flights for each of the 11 biggest U.S. carriers.
What did we find? Today we look at Delta Air Lines. Its longest route on the December schedule is Atlanta-Johannesburg while its shortest is the 74-mile hop it operates between Detroit and Lansing, Michigan.
- Atlanta (ATL) – Johannesburg (JNB): 8,433 miles
- Mumbai (BOM) – New York (JFK): 7,797 miles
- Atlanta (ATL) – Shanghai (PVG): 7,659 miles
- Los Angeles (LAX) – Sydney, Australia (SYD): 7,487 miles
- Atlanta (ATL) – Seoul (ICN): 7,139
- Detroit (DTW) – Shanghai (PVG): 7,137 miles
- Atlanta (ATL) – Tokyo (NRT): 6,850 miles
- Detroit (DTW) – Beijing (PEK): 6,632 miles
- Detroit (DTW) – Seoul (ICN): 6,624 miles
- Detroit (DTW) – Nagoya, Japan (NGO): 6,552 miles
- Detroit (DTW) – Lansing, Michigan (LAN): 74 miles
- Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) – Rochester, Minnesota (RST): 76 miles
- Atlanta (ATL) – Columbus, Georgia (CSG): 83 miles
- Cleveland (CLE) – Detroit (DTW): 95 miles
- Detroit (DTW) – Saginaw/Bay City, Michigan (MBS): 98 miles
- Atlanta (ATL) – Chattanooga, Tennessee (CHA): 106 miles
- Los Angeles (LAX) – San Diego (SAN): 109 miles
- Kalamazoo, Michigan (AZO) – Detroit (DTW): 113 miles
- Detroit (DTW) – Grand Rapids, Michigan (GRR): 120 miles
- Seattle (SEA) – Vancouver, British Columbia (YVR): 127 miles
*Certain regional flights are operated and planned by affiliates independently of Delta’s scheduling teams and are not included.
Source: Delta Air Lines. Flights based based on regularly scheduled flights during the carrier’s December schedule. Next update: March 2020.
For more info about the airline, check out TPG’s Delta Air Lines by the numbers post.
Featured photo by Daniel Ross/The Points Guy
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.