Snapshot: A Look at Delta Air Lines by the Numbers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta Air Lines, which traces its origins to crop dusters in the southern US, adopted its current name in 1928 and has grown into one of the airline industry’s iconic companies.
This decade, Delta has been buoyed by recognition for on-time flights and high customer-satisfaction levels. Its crews are easy to spot in newly updated uniforms by Zac Posen. Delta briefly became the world’s largest carrier following its 2008 acquisition of Northwest, although it was overtaken by United after that airline’s merger with Continental in 2010.
Delta recently reclaimed the title of world’s largest airline by revenue, at least during the second quarter of 2019. Delta also has long operated the largest airline hub in the world at Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport.
Here’s what else you need to know about Delta:
CEO: Ed Bastian
Destinations: 304 in 52 countries
Hubs: Atlanta, Boston, Detroit, Los Angeles, Minneapolis/St. Paul, New York JFK, New York LaGuardia, Salt Lake City and Seattle
Focus cities: Austin, Texas; Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky; Nashville; Raleigh/Durham and San Jose, California
Daily Departures: Around 5,000
Frequent-flier Program: SkyMiles
Frequent-flier Alliance: SkyTeam
Busiest Airports by Number of Delta Passengers in 2018
- Atlanta (81.98 million)
- Minneapolis-St. Paul (26.06 million)
- Detroit (25.16 million)
- Salt Lake City (17.05 million)
- New York John F. Kennedy (16.63 million)
- Los Angeles (13.78 million)
- New York LaGuardia (11.98 million)
- Seattle (11.02 million)
- Boston (6.87 million)
- Orlando (6.30 million)
Source: Diio by Cirium
Delta’s Busiest Airports by Average Daily Departures in 2018
- Atlanta (918)
- Detroit (387)
- Minneapolis-St. Paul (367)
- Salt Lake City (240)
- New York LaGuardia (218)
- New York John F. Kennedy (196)
- Los Angeles (147)
- Seattle (141)
- Boston (91)
- Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky (64)
Source: Diio by Cirium
Planes in Delta’s Fleet (Including Regional Affiliates)
- Boeing 777 (18)
- Boeing 767 (77)
- Boeing 757 (116)
- Boeing 737 (217)
- Boeing 717 (91)
- Airbus A350 (13)
- Airbus A330 (44)
- Airbus A321 (83)
- Airbus A320 (62)
- Airbus A319 (57)
- Airbus A220 (18)
- McDonnell-Douglas MD-88 (74)
- McDonnell-Douglas MD-90 (34)
- Canadair CRJ900 (158)
- Canadair CRJ700 (42)
- Canadair CRJ200 (119)
- Embraer E175 (106)
- Embraer E170 (22)
Source: Delta Air Lines 10-Q for the quarter ended June 30, 2019
Featured photo by Alberto Riva/TPG
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.