How Clear’s airport safety precautions will keep you safer in the airport
Quarantine restrictions are beginning to lift around the world, and a number of veteran travelers are ready to hit the skies again. But it won’t traveling won’t remain safe for long without the proper precautions in place.
For more destination guides, dream trips and more sign up for our newsletter here.
Enter Clear, the expedited security option available in 34 airports across the nation. The company recently implemented a number of practices designed to minimize the amount of exposure for. The biometrics screening pods allow travelers to verify their identity via a touch-free iris scan, while members who prefer to continue using fingerprint scanners instead will have quick access to constantly replenished hand sanitizer.
Each Clear pod is cleaned after every traveler verification, and can additionally be cleaned again upon request from the traveler. Furthermore, the entire pod and all Clear equipment is deep-cleaned and disinfected multiple times ecah day.
Social distance is also a priority for Clear: Floor markers have been placed six feet apart in Clear lanes, while screening pods have been spaced out at a wider distance than usual where possible, or separated by plexiglass protective shields where space doesn’t allow for distanced layouts.
Related: Clear biometrics through security
The safety precautions don’t stop with passengers. All of Clear’s employees must wear face masks throughout their shift, while managers are conducting daily health checks, including temperature scans and symptom inquiries, to ensure that all workers are healthy. Break rooms and other employee areas are regularly sanitized, and also undergo daily professional deep cleanings.
Related: New travel trick from Clear
All of these precautions are in addition to Clear’s existing protocols for regular health and safety trainings, and Clear employees are often reminded to follow Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance on health practices.
Employees who feel sick, or who have or are planning to get tested for COVID-19, are asked to notify their managers immediately, and will receive paid time off for COVID-related illness. The company also covers 100 percent of employee health insurance, and pays out “care bonuses” through the “One CLEAR Fund,” which is funded by the full donated salaries of CLEAR’s CEO and President.
If you don’t already have a Clear membership, you can still enroll directly in the airport. Use TPG’s promo code to score two free months — or possibly qualify up to a full year of free or discounted membership.
Even better yet, existing travelers can qualify for a free three-month extension on their membership with one quick action.
Featured photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images.
Additional resources for traveling during the coronavirus outbreak:
- How coronavirus is impacting airline award availability
- How coronavirus has left the travel industry reeling
- Airlines scale back inflight offerings due to coronavirus
- Hotels — and the ick factor — in the time of coronavirus
- Guide to traveling during the coronavirus outbreak
- Extreme measures cruise lines are taking during coronavirus
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.