How Clear’s airport safety precautions will keep you safer in the airport
Quarantine restrictions are beginning to lift around the world, and a number of veteran travelers are ready to hit the skies again. But it won’t traveling won’t remain safe for long without the proper precautions in place.
For more destination guides, dream trips and more sign up for our newsletter here.
Enter Clear, the expedited security option available in 34 airports across the nation. The company recently implemented a number of practices designed to minimize the amount of exposure for. The biometrics screening pods allow travelers to verify their identity via a touch-free iris scan, while members who prefer to continue using fingerprint scanners instead will have quick access to constantly replenished hand sanitizer.
Each Clear pod is cleaned after every traveler verification, and can additionally be cleaned again upon request from the traveler. Furthermore, the entire pod and all Clear equipment is deep-cleaned and disinfected multiple times ecah day.
Social distance is also a priority for Clear: Floor markers have been placed six feet apart in Clear lanes, while screening pods have been spaced out at a wider distance than usual where possible, or separated by plexiglass protective shields where space doesn’t allow for distanced layouts.
Related: Clear biometrics through security
The safety precautions don’t stop with passengers. All of Clear’s employees must wear face masks throughout their shift, while managers are conducting daily health checks, including temperature scans and symptom inquiries, to ensure that all workers are healthy. Break rooms and other employee areas are regularly sanitized, and also undergo daily professional deep cleanings.
Related: New travel trick from Clear
All of these precautions are in addition to Clear’s existing protocols for regular health and safety trainings, and Clear employees are often reminded to follow Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidance on health practices.
Employees who feel sick, or who have or are planning to get tested for COVID-19, are asked to notify their managers immediately, and will receive paid time off for COVID-related illness. The company also covers 100 percent of employee health insurance, and pays out “care bonuses” through the “One CLEAR Fund,” which is funded by the full donated salaries of CLEAR’s CEO and President.
If you don’t already have a Clear membership, you can still enroll directly in the airport. Use TPG’s promo code to score two free months — or possibly qualify up to a full year of free or discounted membership.
Even better yet, existing travelers can qualify for a free three-month extension on their membership with one quick action.
Featured photo by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images.
Additional resources for traveling during the coronavirus outbreak:
- How coronavirus is impacting airline award availability
- How coronavirus has left the travel industry reeling
- Airlines scale back inflight offerings due to coronavirus
- Hotels — and the ick factor — in the time of coronavirus
- Guide to traveling during the coronavirus outbreak
- Extreme measures cruise lines are taking during coronavirus
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees