How to claim a 3-month extension for your Clear membership
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: The team at The Points Guy loves to travel, but now is not the time for unnecessary trips. Health officials note that the fastest way to return to normalcy is to stop coming in contact with others. That includes ceasing travel. We are publishing travel deals because we should all use this time to think about and plan our next adventures. TPG doesn’t advise booking travel until the late spring or early summer – and even then, be mindful of cancellation policies.
Expedited airport-security program Clear is offering a three-month extension for current members, as well as for any family members who are on the primary member’s family plan. However, the membership extension isn’t automatic; you’ll have to contact Clear to request yours. According to Clear, the most efficient way of requesting an extension is through my.clearme.com.
Based on TPG staffers’ experiences, here are the quickest ways to request your extension, listed in order of convenience.
Although Scott received his extension notification in record time, several other staffers — including The Points Guy himself, Brian Kelly — couldn’t find the chat functionality on the website. I called a customer service representative, who also couldn’t find the chat box despite eight minutes of searching while on the phone with me.
TPG readers have helpfully told us that the chat box may be based on agent availability, and also only appears for members who are logged in to their accounts.
If you can’t access Clear’s online chat, you can still activate your three-month extension by texting Clear’s customer service hotline at (855) 253-2763 and requesting a three-month extension for your membership. For quicker resolution, include your date of birth as well as the email address on file with Clear. Provided both of those data points are accurate and your membership is current, you will receive a confirmation via text and a follow-up email confirming the change.
Several TPG staffers opted for this route and reported resolution times of between 18 to 30 minutes.
Note that your confirmation email will say that your membership has been paused for three months, but Clear customer service confirmed that the membership is, in fact, extended, not paused.
Email is another good way to reach Clear. The automated response from Clear states that current wait times range between one to two business days. Based on the rest of Clear’s customer service responsiveness, you may get a response more quickly than that.
I emailed the team to request an extension for the family members who are on my plan, so I will report back on how long the process takes once my response has been received.
You can also connect by phone. Clear’s customer service department is staffed from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. (EDT) on weekdays, and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EDT) on weekends. It took me 90 seconds to get through to a person on a Tuesday evening after two entries on the dial pad to get through the automated phone tree.
Featured photo courtesy of Clear.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees