How to claim a 3-month extension for your Clear membership
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Editor’s note: The team at The Points Guy loves to travel, but now is not the time for unnecessary trips. Health officials note that the fastest way to return to normalcy is to stop coming in contact with others. That includes ceasing travel. We are publishing travel deals because we should all use this time to think about and plan our next adventures. TPG doesn’t advise booking travel until the late spring or early summer – and even then, be mindful of cancellation policies.
Expedited airport-security program Clear is offering a three-month extension for current members, as well as for any family members who are on the primary member’s family plan. However, the membership extension isn’t automatic; you’ll have to contact Clear to request yours. According to Clear, the most efficient way of requesting an extension is through my.clearme.com.
Based on TPG staffers’ experiences, here are the quickest ways to request your extension, listed in order of convenience.
Although Scott received his extension notification in record time, several other staffers — including The Points Guy himself, Brian Kelly — couldn’t find the chat functionality on the website. I called a customer service representative, who also couldn’t find the chat box despite eight minutes of searching while on the phone with me.
TPG readers have helpfully told us that the chat box may be based on agent availability, and also only appears for members who are logged in to their accounts.
If you can’t access Clear’s online chat, you can still activate your three-month extension by texting Clear’s customer service hotline at (855) 253-2763 and requesting a three-month extension for your membership. For quicker resolution, include your date of birth as well as the email address on file with Clear. Provided both of those data points are accurate and your membership is current, you will receive a confirmation via text and a follow-up email confirming the change.
Several TPG staffers opted for this route and reported resolution times of between 18 to 30 minutes.
Note that your confirmation email will say that your membership has been paused for three months, but Clear customer service confirmed that the membership is, in fact, extended, not paused.
Email is another good way to reach Clear. The automated response from Clear states that current wait times range between one to two business days. Based on the rest of Clear’s customer service responsiveness, you may get a response more quickly than that.
I emailed the team to request an extension for the family members who are on my plan, so I will report back on how long the process takes once my response has been received.
You can also connect by phone. Clear’s customer service department is staffed from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. (EDT) on weekdays, and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (EDT) on weekends. It took me 90 seconds to get through to a person on a Tuesday evening after two entries on the dial pad to get through the automated phone tree.
Featured photo courtesy of Clear.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.