New travel trick: Clear launches free mobile app to simplify entry into the US
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Most of us here at TPG love Clear, the subscription service that can get you put in the front of the line for security screening at many U.S. airports. We wrote the definitive guide to Clear access here so be sure to check that out.
Clear reached out to let us know they are launching a mobile app that could simplify members’ entry into the U.S. It can also save you some money on Mobile Passport even if you’re not a member of Clear.
Leah Hollander is the general manager of travel at Clear. She said, “CLEAR Pass is providing free access to Mobile Passport Control as part of our commitment to continually innovate and improve the travel experience. Whether you are a Clear member or not, you can use this service at no cost to make returning home from an international trip safer and easier.”
How it works
- Download the Clear Pass app from Apple’s App Store.
- Create a profile, including your passport information and a selfie
- Just like Mobile Passport, after landing you create a new trip by choosing your arrival airport, airline and answering customs questions
- Go to the Mobile Passport Control line and show the QR code and passport.
- Clear Pass stores the profile and passport for free so you don’t need to repeat the initial steps
One of my favorite tips for travelers is to download the Mobile Passport Control app (MPC) which can literally save you hours at U.S. Customs stations at many U.S. airports. The Points Guy himself, Brian Kelly, wrote about it as far back as 2016. As we’ve reported, the Mobile Passport app requires an annual subscription to store your info, so this would be a good workaround if you don’t want to pay the $14.99 for Mobile Passport.
Here’s Brian Kelly’s conversation with CEO of Clear, Caryn Seidman-Becker. Seidman-Becker shares Clear’s expansion plans, and breaks down membership pricing:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,650
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. Plus earn up to $50 in statement credits towards grocery store purchases within your first year of account opening.
- Earn 2X points on dining including eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out and travel. Plus, earn 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on eligible orders over $12 for a minimum of one year with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.
- Get up to $60 back on an eligible Peloton Digital or All-Access Membership through 12/31/2021, and get full access to their workout library through the Peloton app, including cardio, running, strength, yoga, and more. Take classes using a phone, tablet, or TV. No fitness equipment is required.