New travel trick: Clear launches free mobile app to simplify entry into the US
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Most of us here at TPG love Clear, the subscription service that can get you put in the front of the line for security screening at many U.S. airports. We wrote the definitive guide to Clear access here so be sure to check that out.
Clear reached out to let us know they are launching a mobile app that could simplify members’ entry into the U.S. It can also save you some money on Mobile Passport even if you’re not a member of Clear.
Leah Hollander is the general manager of travel at Clear. She said, “CLEAR Pass is providing free access to Mobile Passport Control as part of our commitment to continually innovate and improve the travel experience. Whether you are a Clear member or not, you can use this service at no cost to make returning home from an international trip safer and easier.”
How it works
- Download the Clear Pass app from Apple’s App Store.
- Create a profile, including your passport information and a selfie
- Just like Mobile Passport, after landing you create a new trip by choosing your arrival airport, airline and answering customs questions
- Go to the Mobile Passport Control line and show the QR code and passport.
- Clear Pass stores the profile and passport for free so you don’t need to repeat the initial steps
One of my favorite tips for travelers is to download the Mobile Passport Control app (MPC) which can literally save you hours at U.S. Customs stations at many U.S. airports. The Points Guy himself, Brian Kelly, wrote about it as far back as 2016. As we’ve reported, the Mobile Passport app requires an annual subscription to store your info, so this would be a good workaround if you don’t want to pay the $14.99 for Mobile Passport.
Here’s Brian Kelly’s conversation with CEO of Clear, Caryn Seidman-Becker. Seidman-Becker shares Clear’s expansion plans, and breaks down membership pricing:
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees