Registering for Free (Or Discounted) CLEAR for United Elites
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For many road warriors, CLEAR’s $179 annual membership is worth the expense. You’ll typically save several minutes each time you pass through security, even hopping to the front of the PreCheck line at many airports around the US. However, as a United Premier 1K elite who typically flies out of Newark (EWR) — where a CLEAR checkpoint is not yet available — I decided not to renew. Until today.
So what motivated me to extend my membership? Monday morning, United Airlines announced preferred pricing for MileagePlus members, matching Delta’s current pricing and free tiers. All members — regardless of status — can sign up for $119 per year, while co-branded cardmembers and Silver members and above pay $109. Best yet, Premier 1K and Global Services members get access for free.
As an existing CLEAR member with a suspended paid membership, I had a few options to renew for free:
- Call 855-CLEARME (253-2763) and provide my MileagePlus number, email address and date of birth, and wait for status confirmation
- Email email@example.com with the same information
- Head to this page, register and wait for status confirmation
New members should be able to register right away. My sister is also a Premier 1K member, and she had no trouble registering online immediately, with the discount reflected right away. A credit card number is required for new accounts, though you can cancel automatic renewal and presumably you won’t be charged as long as you maintain the same United status level.
After you sign up online, you’ll need to complete the process at your nearest enrollment center — typically at an airport CLEAR checkpoint, or select stadiums and event venues. CLEAR is already available at United’s hubs in Denver (DEN), Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO) and Washington Dulles (IAD). It’s expected to arrive at Houston Intercontinental (IAH) and Newark Liberty (EWR) by the end of the summer, and Chicago O’Hare (ORD) this fall.
Featured image by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: Up to 100,000 bonus miles
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,040
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X miles on United® purchases
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80K bonus miles after you spend $5,000 on purchases in the first 3 months your account is open. Plus, an additional 20K bonus miles after you spend $10,000 in the first 6 months
- $250 Annual Fee
- Earn 3X miles on United® purchases, 2X miles at restaurants, on select streaming services & all other travel, 1X on all other purchases
- Earn 3X miles on United Airlines purchases
- Earn 2X miles at restaurants and on select streaming services
- Earn 2X miles on all other travel
- Earn 1X mile on all other purchases
- Each year, receive a $125 credit on United® purchases and two 5k-mile anniversary award flight credits. Terms apply.