Registering for Free (Or Discounted) CLEAR for United Elites
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
For many road warriors, CLEAR’s $179 annual membership is worth the expense. You’ll typically save several minutes each time you pass through security, even hopping to the front of the PreCheck line at many airports around the US. However, as a United Premier 1K elite who typically flies out of Newark (EWR) — where a CLEAR checkpoint is not yet available — I decided not to renew. Until today.
So what motivated me to extend my membership? Monday morning, United Airlines announced preferred pricing for MileagePlus members, matching Delta’s current pricing and free tiers. All members — regardless of status — can sign up for $119 per year, while co-branded cardmembers and Silver members and above pay $109. Best yet, Premier 1K and Global Services members get access for free.
As an existing CLEAR member with a suspended paid membership, I had a few options to renew for free:
- Call 855-CLEARME (253-2763) and provide my MileagePlus number, email address and date of birth, and wait for status confirmation
- Email email@example.com with the same information
- Head to this page, register and wait for status confirmation
New members should be able to register right away. My sister is also a Premier 1K member, and she had no trouble registering online immediately, with the discount reflected right away. A credit card number is required for new accounts, though you can cancel automatic renewal and presumably you won’t be charged as long as you maintain the same United status level.
After you sign up online, you’ll need to complete the process at your nearest enrollment center — typically at an airport CLEAR checkpoint, or select stadiums and event venues. CLEAR is already available at United’s hubs in Denver (DEN), Los Angeles (LAX), San Francisco (SFO) and Washington Dulles (IAD). It’s expected to arrive at Houston Intercontinental (IAH) and Newark Liberty (EWR) by the end of the summer, and Chicago O’Hare (ORD) this fall.
Featured image by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees