Delta Cuts Back CLEAR Discount for SkyMiles Members
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta has announced that effective April 5, the airline is reducing the discount it offers to SkyMiles members, meaning those who decide to join CLEAR will have to fork over more of their own cash.
The fee of $179 is steep for most travelers, but SkyMiles members have been able to receive discounts based on status and from co-branded Delta SkyMiles credit cards. Delta Diamond Medallion members will still be able to enroll in the program free of charge.
However, all other status groups and regular SkyMiles members will be paying more for enrollment:
- SkyMiles Members: $119 per year (previously $99)
- Delta Silver, Gold, Platinum Medallion Members: $109 per year (previously $79)
- Delta SkyMiles credit card holders: $109 per year (previously $79)
There’s good news, though, if you’ve already enrolled in the program: Current yearly rates are grandfathered in and will not change — the new pricing only applies to members who are enrolling for the first time. So, if you enrolled while you were a Gold Medallion member, for example, your renewal rate would remain at $79 per year as long as you maintain your status with Delta. And, if you were to lose your status, the yearly price would only go up to $99, the base rate for SkyMiles members under the old pricing structure.
If you want to learn more about the program and find out if it’s right for you, check out our guide to going CLEAR.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured photo courtesy of Delta Air Lines
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees