Delta Cuts Back CLEAR Discount for SkyMiles Members
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Delta has announced that effective April 5, the airline is reducing the discount it offers to SkyMiles members, meaning those who decide to join CLEAR will have to fork over more of their own cash.
The fee of $179 is steep for most travelers, but SkyMiles members have been able to receive discounts based on status and from co-branded Delta SkyMiles credit cards. Delta Diamond Medallion members will still be able to enroll in the program free of charge.
However, all other status groups and regular SkyMiles members will be paying more for enrollment:
- SkyMiles Members: $119 per year (previously $99)
- Delta Silver, Gold, Platinum Medallion Members: $109 per year (previously $79)
- Delta SkyMiles credit card holders: $109 per year (previously $79)
There’s good news, though, if you’ve already enrolled in the program: Current yearly rates are grandfathered in and will not change — the new pricing only applies to members who are enrolling for the first time. So, if you enrolled while you were a Gold Medallion member, for example, your renewal rate would remain at $79 per year as long as you maintain your status with Delta. And, if you were to lose your status, the yearly price would only go up to $99, the base rate for SkyMiles members under the old pricing structure.
If you want to learn more about the program and find out if it’s right for you, check out our guide to going CLEAR.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
Featured photo courtesy of Delta Air Lines
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.