Clear wants to help businesses track employee COVID-19 cases
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Clear plans to join the fight against the spread of COVID-19 by bringing health reporting technology to the workplace.
The privately owned biometric identity platform is best known for its expedited airport security screening. The company plans to use the same technology to track self-reported health data in the workplace.
Here’s how it would work:
Step 1: Download the Clear app to your phone and enroll in Health Pass. Verify your identity and link any partner accounts. In the near future, you’ll be able to upload or link your coronavirus-related test results.
Step 2: When you enter a building or venue that requires health clearance, snap a selfie within the location to verify your identity on site. Then complete a real-time health quiz and provide your secure health information via the QR code.
Step 3: Once your identity has been verified and your health results are linked to that profile, walk up to a Clear pod and use either facial recognition or your QR code to share your verified health status. You’ll also be asked to check your temperature and gain touchless access. The only information your employer or venue will receive is a yes/no on your health screening; other sensitive details will not be passed along.
Where can I use Health Pass by Clear?
Health Pass doesn’t have a roster of partner businesses, although Clear told media company Axios that potential partners include restaurateur Danny Meyer, the New York Mets and the Las Vegas COVID-19 recovery task force. Members could already use Clear outside of the airport at a number of locations — at least before the coronavirus quarantine went into effect. For example at Met’s stadium at Citi Field.
Will Health Pass by Clear actually work?
In April, the World Health Organization (WHO) warned against “immunity passports,” stating that there’s “currently no evidence” that recovered individuals can’t become reinfected.
Currently, most individuals don’t have access to reliable tests within the U.S. TPG himself, Brian Kelly, recently took two separate COVID-19 antibody tests — and got different results each time. Because Clear’s biometric reporting tool relies on self-reported health information, and later on will rely on medical tests, Health Pass by Clear can provide a false sense of security where there may still be a very real risk of infection.
Like many of you, we at TPG can’t wait to get back to the skies — or even back into our offices for some face time with our coworkers. Much is still unknown about the coronavirus and nothing will improve until scientists have more accurate data or an effective vaccine. Health Pass by Clear might be a useful tool down the road — but it’s important to remember that self-reported or untrustworthy data means next to nothing, and could potentially be more dangerous than no information at all.
Featured photo by Shutterstock.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees