Airbus breaks records with 2019 aircraft orders, deliveries
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s been a banner year for at least one aerospace giant.
Aircraft manufacturer Airbus shattered its own performance records in 2019, increasing deliveries by 8% over the previous year and boasting 1,131 new aircraft orders. Deliveries to 99 airlines included:
- A220 family: 48 (versus 20 in 2018)
- A320 family: 642 (versus 626 in 2018)
- A330 family: 53 (versus 49 in 2018)
- A350 family: 112 (versus 93 in 2018)
- A380: 8 (versus 12 in 2018)
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airbus reported strong sales in 2019, including 63 net orders for the A220, 654 net orders for the A320 family (including the A321XLR), 32 net orders for the A350 family and 89 net orders for A330 family aircraft. The manufacturer decided to end A380 production last year.
This was the 17th year in a row Airbus increased production, in particular 173 widebody aircraft — its highest number in a single year. Airbus Chief Executive Officer Guillaume Faury said, “I am happy to see our commercial aircraft order and delivery numbers reflecting the continuous efforts to better serve our customers and bring our competitive products and services to the market.”
Meanwhile, competitor Boeing continues to struggle after the grounding of the 737 MAX. Order cancellations and suspension of the 737 MAX production line along with uncertainty about the aircraft’s return to service resulted in the company missing third-quarter expectations. This is in sharp contrast to the record-setting results Boeing achieved in 2018.
Airbus will release its full year 2019 financial results on Feb. 13, 2020.
Featured photo by Balint Porneczi/Bloomberg via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees