Airbus breaks records with 2019 aircraft orders, deliveries
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
It’s been a banner year for at least one aerospace giant.
Aircraft manufacturer Airbus shattered its own performance records in 2019, increasing deliveries by 8% over the previous year and boasting 1,131 new aircraft orders. Deliveries to 99 airlines included:
- A220 family: 48 (versus 20 in 2018)
- A320 family: 642 (versus 626 in 2018)
- A330 family: 53 (versus 49 in 2018)
- A350 family: 112 (versus 93 in 2018)
- A380: 8 (versus 12 in 2018)
For more TPG news delivered each morning to your inbox, sign up for our daily newsletter.
Airbus reported strong sales in 2019, including 63 net orders for the A220, 654 net orders for the A320 family (including the A321XLR), 32 net orders for the A350 family and 89 net orders for A330 family aircraft. The manufacturer decided to end A380 production last year.
This was the 17th year in a row Airbus increased production, in particular 173 widebody aircraft — its highest number in a single year. Airbus Chief Executive Officer Guillaume Faury said, “I am happy to see our commercial aircraft order and delivery numbers reflecting the continuous efforts to better serve our customers and bring our competitive products and services to the market.”
Meanwhile, competitor Boeing continues to struggle after the grounding of the 737 MAX. Order cancellations and suspension of the 737 MAX production line along with uncertainty about the aircraft’s return to service resulted in the company missing third-quarter expectations. This is in sharp contrast to the record-setting results Boeing achieved in 2018.
Airbus will release its full year 2019 financial results on Feb. 13, 2020.
Featured photo by Balint Porneczi/Bloomberg via Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.