Airbus Launches Longest-Range Single-Aisle Aircraft, A321XLR
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Following rumors that the next variant of the A320 family was on its way, Airbus made its firm announcement on Monday. During the opening day of the Paris Air Show, Airbus detailed its longest-range single-aisle aircraft, the Airbus A321XLR.
The A321XLR will have a range of 4,700 nautical miles, or about 5,400 miles — 15% more than the A321LR, its closest counterpart. The latest variant of the A320 family will begin flying passengers in 2023.
Along with Monday’s announcement of the new aircraft entering the A320 family, Airbus also shared the launch customer of the new aircraft, Air Lease Corporation.
The Los Angeles-based lessor signed a Letter of Intent (LOI) for 27 A321XLRs and 50 A220-300s. The LOI also includes an incremental order for an additional 23 A321neos, which can be either the LR or XLR option. (Air Lease does not actually fly aircraft, but rather leases them out to airlines.)
With 30% less fuel burn per seat than its previous-generation competitor aircraft, Airbus says that its A321XLR offers airlines more value in adding the option to operate a single-aisle aircraft on longer-haul routes.
The A321XLR allows carriers to fly from various airports in North America to South America, Europe and beyond. For example, a nonstop route from New York to Rome or from Chicago to Barcelona isn’t out of the question. Some passengers may be hesitant to choose a narrow-body jet for a 4,500-mile flight, though, depending on the product airlines choose to offer.
Airbus is touting the long-range capability of the aircraft, paired with a more passenger-friendly cabin. Customers can opt to feature a cabin with lie-flat seats, wider economy seats, mood lighting, larger overhead bins and more.
The A321LR, which has a range of 4,000nm (4,600 miles), has been a success thus far, with 13 operators ordering more than 130 aircraft. So, what makes it so much more fuel efficient and longer-range? The A321XLR will feature a new permanent Rear Centre Tank for more fuel volume, as well as modified landing gear for an increased 101-ton maximum takeoff weight.
The A321XLR will compete with the New Mid-Market Aircraft (NMA) Boeing is said to be in the midst of developing. The Boeing aircraft is set to replace its current 757 and 767 aircraft. That announcement was rumored to also have been made this week at the Paris Air Show, though Boeing’s focus has switched to its ongoing issues with its 737 MAX.
“I believe that until those issues are fully resolved on a global scale, this other project will be a little bit in cold storage,” said Steven Udvar-Házy, Air Lease Corporation Executive Chairman. Air Lease Corporation CEO John Plueger and Udvar-Házy emphasized that Monday’s order is independent of the issues and product development (potential NMA) at Boeing.
Current A321LR lessees of Air Lease Corporation include Aer Lingus, SAS, Azores, Air Arabia, Air Astana, Peach, S7, Sky Airline (Chile). There has not been any announcement on which carrier(s) will fly the A321XLR once it’s delivered beginning in 2023.
Will there be other A321XLR orders on the horizon? “I dare say yes,” said Airbus Chief Commercial Officer Christian Scherer.
All images courtesy Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees