Air Canada is North America’s first Airbus A220-300 operator
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Canada took delivery of its first Airbus A220-300, making it the North American launch operator of the stretched variant of the new narrow-body.
The Montreal-based carrier took delivery of its first A220, registered C-GROV, at Airbus’ Montreal Mirabel (YMX) facility on Friday, the European planemaker said in a statement. The delivery occurred less than 10 days after the aircraft’s first flight on Dec. 11.
“This is a highly anticipated moment for Air Canada as we welcome this game-changing aircraft into our fleet,” said Michael Rousseau, deputy CEO and chief financial officer of Air Canada, in a statement. “The A220 will enable Air Canada to strengthen our position on transborder and transcontinental markets and will be key to our continued growth.”
— Airbus (@Airbus) December 20, 2019
The airline is scheduled to introduce the A220 between Montreal Trudeau (YUL) and Calgary (YYC) on Jan. 16, according to Cirium schedules. Service will expand to other existing routes, including to New York LaGuardia (LGA) in March, through May.
Air Canada will use the A220 to open new nonstop service between Montreal and Seattle (SEA) and Toronto Pearson (YYZ) and San Jose, California (SJC) on May 4.
The Canadian carrier has outfitted its A220-300s with 137 seats, including 12 in first class and 125 in economy. Each seat has personal in-flight entertainment, and the jet is outfitted with satellite Wi-Fi.
Delta Air Lines was the North American launch operator of the smaller A220-100 in February. The Atlanta-based carrier had 28 of the jets in its fleet at the end of November, according to Airbus.
Air Canada has 45 A220-300s on order with 17 more due in 2020. The aircraft will allow it to retire the Embraer 190 by the end of next year.
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees