Air Canada’s first Airbus A220 completes maiden flight
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Air Canada‘s first Airbus A220 took to the skies over Quebec on Wednesday in preparation for the jet’s Canadian introduction in January.
The planemaker flew the A220-300 on a test flight ahead of delivery to Air Canada from Montreal’s Mirabel (YMX) airport, Airbus said Wednesday. The airline has 45 of the jets on order.
Air Canada expects delivery of its first A220 by year’s end, with plans to begin passenger flights next month. The airline will become the second North American operator of the jet after Delta Air Lines, which debuted the type last February.
The A220 is scheduled to enter service with Air Canada between Montreal Trudeau (YUL) and Calgary (YYC) on Jan. 16, according to Cirium schedules. Service will expand on existing routes, including to New York LaGuardia (LGA) in March, through May when the jet will open new nonstop flights between Montreal and Seattle (SEA) and Toronto Pearson (YYZ) and San Jose, California (SJC).
United Airlines flyers can enjoy the A220 via the carrier’s partnership with Air Canada. The flights between Montreal and New York operate under their codeshare, as will service to Denver (DEN) that begins in May, Cirium shows.
Air Canada is outfitting its A220-300s with with 137 seats, including 12 business and 125 economy. Each seat will have personal in-flight entertainment, and the aircraft will be outfitted with satellite Wi-Fi.
The airline plans to add 17 more A220s to its fleet in 2020, for a total of 18 by year end, its latest fleet plan shows. The aircraft will replace Embraer E190s that are due for retirement next year.
Featured image courtesy of Airbus.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer ends 8/3/2022.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs up to two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide including takeout and delivery in the U.S., and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $80 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA PreCheck® after you apply through any Authorized Enrollment Provider. If approved for Global Entry, at no additional charge, you will receive access to TSA PreCheck.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees