Aboard the Airbus A220 Inaugural Flight on Delta
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
There’s no two ways about it — the A220 is a big deal for aviation. Today, Delta became the first North American airline to begin passenger service with the newest, smallest member of the Airbus family, the A220-100, shuttling bleary-eyed customers from New York’s LaGuardia (LGA) to Boston (BOS) and Dallas–Fort Worth (DFW).
Not only is this bird the most fuel-efficient and quietest aircraft in the Delta fleet, but it also features the widest Main Cabin seating across all of Delta’s birds, an all-new wireless IFE system powered by Gogo Vision Touch, high-speed 2Ku WiFi and overhead bins big enough to actually put your suitcase in.
We arrived early at LaGuardia’s Terminal C to take part in the inaugural festivities, which were pushed from Jan. 31, 2019 due to the government shutdown. Given that the ribbon-cutting ceremony began at around 5:15am, a surprising number of passengers came out with spirits high to enjoy the breakfast spread and share AvGeek stories with one another.
Passengers from the first A220 flight out of LGA — a 6:00am departure to Boston (BOS) — mingled with those who arrived early for their 7:45am departure to Dallas–Fort Worth (DFW) on Delta’s newest A220, N104DU, delivered on Dec. 31, 2018.
I flew to Dallas on that aircraft in Comfort+, and returned to New York on the same plane (and with the same cabin crew) in first class. You can expect reviews of both cabins soon, but the long and short of it is this: there’s really no comparison between the other regional jets Delta and others fly — the CRJ700, CRJ900 and Embraer 175 and 190 — when matched against the A220.
This plane is the new de facto king of regional flying, providing a roomy, modern environment with a best-in-class seatback entertainment system to serve medium-haul routes in the 900 to 1,400 mile range.
While you wait for the full reviews, be sure to check our extensive coverage of Delta’s newest aircraft below.
- I Toured Delta’s Brand New Airbus A220 — Here’s What to Expect
- Here’s What We Learned From Delta’s Product Developer for the A220
- Delta Confirms Its First A220 Destinations: Widebody Amenities on Narrowbody Routes
You can book tickets using both cash and SkyMiles on the two existing routes (LGA–BOS and LGA-DFW), which Delta serves with a total of 4 Airbus A220s, as well as these future confirmed routes. Delta’s future A220 fleet will consist of 40 A220-100 series aircraft and the remaining 50 will be the larger A220-300 variant. Delta anticipates taking its first delivery of the A220-300 in 2020, with all 90 A220s to be delivered by the end of 2023.
Before booking, make sure to pore over our guide to the best credit cards for Delta loyalists.
|Delta A220 Route||In-Service|
|New York (LGA) to Boston (BOS)||From Feb. 7, 2019|
|New York (LGA) to Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW)||From Feb. 7, 2019|
|Detroit (DTW) to Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW)||March|
|New York (LGA) to Houston (IAH)||April|
|Salt Lake City (SLC) to Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW)||May|
|Minneapolis (MSP) to Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW)||June|
|Houston (IAH) to Detroit (DTW)||July|
|Houston (IAH) to Minneapolis (MSP)||July|
|Houston (IAH) to Salt Lake City (SLC)||July|
|New York (JFK) to Dallas-Ft. Worth (DFW)||August|
Delta A220-100 Highlights
- 109 seats total, including seating for 12 in First Class, 15 in Delta Comfort+ and 82 in Main Cabin
- State-of-the-art interior featuring Gogo 2Ku Wi-Fi, personal power ports at each seat and complimentary premium entertainment on individual seatback screens
- The widest Main Cabin seats (18.6″) in Delta’s entire fleet
- First class seats feature a width of 20.5″
- Seat pitch: 37″ (first class); 34″ (Comfort+); 30-32″ (Main Cabin)
- 2-2 layout in first class; 3-2 layout in economy cabin
- High-capacity overhead bins, extra-large windows and full-spectrum LED ambient lighting
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees