Virgin Atlantic Places Order for 14 of Airbus’s New A330-900s
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Virgin Atlantic detailed its succession plan for its current fleet of Airbus A330s on Monday during the first day of the Paris Air Show: It’s going to buy more A330s, but of a more advanced version that burns less fuel and has quieter engines.
Using the event as a backdrop, Virgin Atlantic CEO Shai Weiss announced the carrier has placed a firm order for 14 Airbus A330-900neo aircraft with an options to take delivery of up to six more. At list prices, the deal would be valued at more than $4.1 billion, though airlines typically negotiate steep discounts on such orders.
The carrier will take delivery of the first of the A330neos, which will be powered by Rolls-Royce Trent 7000 engines, in September 2021 and expects to receive all jets from the order by 2024.
The aircraft are set to replace Virgin Atlantic’s aging A330-300 and A330-200 aircraft currently part of Virgin’s long-haul fleet. Weiss said that the fuel efficiency of the A330neo was a selling point for Virgin Atlantic. The new planes are designed to be 13% more fuel and carbon efficient than the A330-300s, as well as being quieter — a 50% reduction in airport noise contour, according to Virgin Atlantic executives speaking at the air show. Over the course of a 10-year period, all of the carrier’s planes will be replaced, with the average age of its aircraft dropping to just 5.3 years.
With this A330neo order, Virgin Atlantic says it plans to double its presence at London’s Heathrow Airport (LHR) — assuming that LHR gets a third runway, which is currently planned. Weiss did not comment on which routes the aircraft will fly, nor did he reveal the planned cabin configuration.
“We will be proud to operate the youngest, cleanest fleet yet, with an average age of just over five years,” Weiss said in a press release. “It also allows us to continue innovating for our customers to create an on-board experience we know they will love.”
Among the details in Monday’s order, eight of the planes Virgin Atlantic’s 14-firm A330-900 order will come directly from Airbus while the remaining six will come from from the US-based Air Lease Corporation.
Featured photo by Zach Honig/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees