Spirit Airlines makes big Airbus order official
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Spirit Airlines has finalized its order for up to 150 Airbus A320neo jets, a deal that will fuel Spirit’s plan to double in size over the next five years.
As expected, the South Florida-based discounter firmed its previous commitment for 100 A320neo family aircraft plus 50 options at the end of December. The jets, which complement its current A320 family fleet, include A319neo, A320neo and A321neo models.
Deliveries of the new jets will begin in 2022 and continue through 2027.
Spirit has big growth plans over the next few years. It plans to grow by double-digits this year, focusing on connecting markets in its network and adding new destinations.
“We’re going to double our size by 2025,” Spirit vice president of inflight experience Lania Rittenhouse told reporters in December.
Complementing the planned growth is a new passenger cabin and seats on its planes that Spirit debuted in December. The new cabin includes a refreshed look emphasizing the airline’s yellow-and-black livery, while the seats aim to increase “useable” space through new design and moving the literature pocket to the top of the seatback.
Spirit plans to take delivery of 21 A320neos this year, but is looking for up to seven more aircraft to bolster its fleet growth.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees