Spirit Airlines commits to buying up to 150 Airbus A320neo family jets
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Spirit Airlines has ended months of speculation with a commitment for up to 150 Airbus A320neo family aircraft.
The memorandum of understanding includes an order for 100 A319neo, A320neo and A321neo models, and purchase options for another 50 aircraft, the Florida-based ultra-low-cost-carrier said after markets closed on Wednesday.
The commitment is the end to a more than a year-long search by Spirit for its next aircraft. The all-A320 family operator considered a range of aircraft, including the Airbus A220, Boeing 737 MAX and Embraer E-Jet E2 families, but ultimately opted to maintain its single-family fleet with more Airbus narrowbodies.
“The additional aircraft will be used to support Spirit’s growth as we add new destinations and expand our network across the U.S., Latin America and the Caribbean,” said Ted Christie, CEO of Spirit, in a statement.
Spirit is in the midst of a growth spurt. It added Nashville (BNA) to its network earlier this month, and continues to connect the dots on its map with new routes coming to Austin (AUS), Cancun (CUN), Nashville and San Juan (SJU) in 2020.
The airline is also making a number of customer-focused investments. These include everything from better operational performance, to the new seats that it unveiled in September and the pending new loyalty program.
Spirit’s current orderbook includes 48 A320neos with deliveries through 2021, its latest fleet plan shows. The new commitment will extend that delivery horizon to 2027.
Notably, the new long-range A321XLR that could make nonstop flights to the major cities of South America from Florida, or Hawaii from points in the U.S. Midwest possible, is not part of Spirit’s commitment, according to the airline and Airbus’ separate statements.
Spirit will present its third quarter earnings on Thursday, and is expected to provide more detail on the aircraft order.
Featured image by Javier Rodriguez / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees