Spirit Airlines to take on JetBlue with 2 new Puerto Rico routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Spirit Airlines is raising its challenge to JetBlue Airways in Puerto Rico.
The ultra-low-cost-carrier will add new flights between San Juan (SJU) and Boston Logan (BOS) and Newark Liberty (EWR) on Dec. 19, just in time for the holidays, Spirit said Friday. Both routes will operate daily with Airbus A320 family aircraft.
Spirit will also add a second daily flight between Philadelphia (PHL) and San Juan on March 1.
Florida-based Spirit will compete directly with JetBlue on both the Boston and Newark routes, according to Diio by Cirium schedules. JetBlue is the largest carrier in San Juan with up to 34 flights a day, but Spirit is rapidly growing with plans for around 11 daily flights by March.
“We are constantly looking for growth opportunities in our network and we are so proud of the growth we have had in Puerto Rico over the years,” John Kirby, vice-president of network planning at Spirit, said in a statement.
JetBlue and Spirit also face off in Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and Orlando (MCO), where they each maintain bases.
Both airlines are in the midst of a cabin overhaul aimed at improving their onboard products. JetBlue is refitting its workhorse A320s with an updated product, though retrofits are paused until next year due to Airbus A321neo delivery delays. In September, Spirit unveiled new seats that it says will be more comfortable than its current ones. Spirit said it will provide more details about its cabin updates in November.
In addition to JetBlue, Spirit will compete with Frontier Airlines and United Airlines between Newark and San Juan, Diio schedules show. Frontier will launch the route in November as part of a larger expansion into Newark.
Featured image by JT Genter/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees