Spirit Airlines to take on JetBlue with 2 new Puerto Rico routes
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Spirit Airlines is raising its challenge to JetBlue Airways in Puerto Rico.
The ultra-low-cost-carrier will add new flights between San Juan (SJU) and Boston Logan (BOS) and Newark Liberty (EWR) on Dec. 19, just in time for the holidays, Spirit said Friday. Both routes will operate daily with Airbus A320 family aircraft.
Spirit will also add a second daily flight between Philadelphia (PHL) and San Juan on March 1.
Florida-based Spirit will compete directly with JetBlue on both the Boston and Newark routes, according to Diio by Cirium schedules. JetBlue is the largest carrier in San Juan with up to 34 flights a day, but Spirit is rapidly growing with plans for around 11 daily flights by March.
“We are constantly looking for growth opportunities in our network and we are so proud of the growth we have had in Puerto Rico over the years,” John Kirby, vice-president of network planning at Spirit, said in a statement.
JetBlue and Spirit also face off in Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and Orlando (MCO), where they each maintain bases.
Both airlines are in the midst of a cabin overhaul aimed at improving their onboard products. JetBlue is refitting its workhorse A320s with an updated product, though retrofits are paused until next year due to Airbus A321neo delivery delays. In September, Spirit unveiled new seats that it says will be more comfortable than its current ones. Spirit said it will provide more details about its cabin updates in November.
In addition to JetBlue, Spirit will compete with Frontier Airlines and United Airlines between Newark and San Juan, Diio schedules show. Frontier will launch the route in November as part of a larger expansion into Newark.
Featured image by JT Genter/The Points Guy.
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel
- No delivery fees for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with a DashPass subscription from DoorDash -over a $100 value. Activate with your Chase Sapphire card by December 31, 2021.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.