Spirit Airlines unveils new seats that it says will make for happier passengers
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Spirit Airlines, once a laggard on almost all customer satisfaction measures, is taking yet another step to improve the passenger experience: its seats.
The Florida-based ultra-low-cost carrier will debut the new seats in November and showed them off for the first time today at the Airline Passenger Experience Association (APEX) expo in Los Angeles.
Spirit claims that the new product will offer passengers two additional inches of “usable legroom” — the distance from the center of the seatback to the furthest point on the back of the seat in front — as compared to the slimline seats on its aircraft today.
The new seats will also feature thicker padding, lumbar support, and bigger tray tables — a feature any road warrior familiar with the art of trying to balancing a laptop and a drink on a minuscule table will instantly appreciate. The seats will be black, keeping with Spirit’s black-and-yellow color palette.
The seats are just the latest in a multi-year transformation for Spirit. Once at the bottom of the U.S. Department of Transportation’s on-time performance and customer-satisfaction rankings, the airline has made a dramatic climb and was the fourth-most punctual, with 81% of flights arriving on time, in 2018.
“New seat technology produces the ability to increase usable space at legroom, and that’s what’s most from a comfort perspective for people,” Spirit CEO Ted Christie told TPG at APEX. “When you improve seat technology with contoured seatbacks and a gentle pre-recline for our seat, you actually improve the legroom space.”
Other improvements include a performance promise, onboard Wi-Fi expected by year-end, and a new in-development frequent flier program. Passengers can learn more about Spirit’s transformation by visiting its dedicated website Invest in the Guest.
Spirit’s new cabin configuration will also feature a wider middle seat — 18 inches compared to 17 inches for the window and aisle. The configuration was developed by Acro Aircraft Seating.
In addition, the airline will be able to keep its existing density — 145 seats on its Airbus A319s, 182 on its Airbus A320s, and 228 on its Airbus A321s — without adding weight, which increases operating expenses.
Installation of the new seats, as well as a cabin refresh that incorporates more of Spirit’s black and yellow colors, will begin with new deliveries in November, said Christie. The airline is still evaluating whether to retrofit existing aircraft.
Spirit’s Big Front Seat — the discounter’s version of a premium product — also will get an update as part of the cabin refresh. New seats with an improved headrest and more padding will be installed in the same 2-by-2 configuration as on its fleet today.
The new Big Front Seats are designed by HAECO Cabin Solutions.
Here’s a look at the seatbacks Spirit plans to install on its new planes.
Featured image by Patrick Fallon/The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees