Frontier Airlines Expands to Newark With 15 New Routes as Southwest Exits
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Frontier Airlines will add Newark to its map with 15 new routes beginning this fall, landing at the New York-area airport just weeks after Southwest Airlines raised the white flag there.
The Denver-based ultra low-cost carrier will initially connect Newark Liberty (EWR) to seven destinations starting in November:
- Atlanta (ATL) — daily from Dec. 10
- Las Vegas (LAS) — daily from Nov. 14
- Miami (MIA) — daily from Nov. 14, and twice daily from Dec. 10
- Orlando (MCO) — twice daily from Nov. 14
- Phoenix (PHX) — daily from Dec. 10
- San Juan (SJU) — daily from Nov. 14
- West Palm Beach, Florida (PBI) — seasonal daily from Dec. 10
Frontier operates a fleet of Airbus A320 family aircraft.
The airline plans to follow up its initial seven routes eight additional ones. Frontier did not give a specific launch date for flights from Newark to Cancun (CUN), Mexico; Chicago O’Hare (ORD); Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW); Denver (DEN); Ontario (ONT) in California; Punta Cana (PUJ) in the Dominican Republic; Raleigh/Durham (RDU) and Tampa (TPA), saying only that those routes would begin in March and April 2020.
“We’re excited to make flying more affordable for the Garden State with 15 new routes from Newark,” Barry Biffle, CEO of Frontier, said in a statement. The airline adds that all of its flights from Newark will operate outside of “delay prone afternoon hours.”
Frontier’s initial bevy of routes from Newark start just weeks after Southwest exits the market. The Dallas-based discounter will end nine years of service to the airport on Nov. 3, attributing the move to the on-going Boeing 737 MAX grounding and poor economic performance.
Frontier will replace Southwest in three markets from Newark: Denver, Orlando and Phoenix, according to Diio by Cirium schedules.
Southwest will consolidate its New York operation at LaGuardia (LGA) after ending flights to Newark. The airline plans to shift flights to larger aircraft at the airport in order to add seats in the slot-constrained market.
Newark is just the latest in a long line of markets that Frontier has entered in a big way. However, many have since shrunk just as quickly, including Trenton (TTN) and Washington Dulles (IAD). In others — such as Wilmington, Delaware — Frontier has pulled out altogether after debuting with a splashy entrance.
Frontier is the most likely to cut a new route among US carriers, a recent analysis by TPG found. The airline axed more than 13% of the routes it flew in July 2018 by this July.
Frontier faces stiff competition in Newark, even with Southwest’s exit. United Airlines serves all of the carrier’s planned routes except Ontario from Newark, Diio data shows. American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, JetBlue Airways, Spirit Airlines and VivaAerobus also serve some of the destinations.
Featured image by Shutterstock.com.
Related: The 7 Best Starter Credit Cards
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 5X points on Lyft rides through March 2022. That’s 3X points in addition to the 2X points you already earn on travel.