Frontier Airlines Expands to Newark With 15 New Routes as Southwest Exits
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Frontier Airlines will add Newark to its map with 15 new routes beginning this fall, landing at the New York-area airport just weeks after Southwest Airlines raised the white flag there.
The Denver-based ultra low-cost carrier will initially connect Newark Liberty (EWR) to seven destinations starting in November:
- Atlanta (ATL) — daily from Dec. 10
- Las Vegas (LAS) — daily from Nov. 14
- Miami (MIA) — daily from Nov. 14, and twice daily from Dec. 10
- Orlando (MCO) — twice daily from Nov. 14
- Phoenix (PHX) — daily from Dec. 10
- San Juan (SJU) — daily from Nov. 14
- West Palm Beach, Florida (PBI) — seasonal daily from Dec. 10
Frontier operates a fleet of Airbus A320 family aircraft.
The airline plans to follow up its initial seven routes eight additional ones. Frontier did not give a specific launch date for flights from Newark to Cancun (CUN), Mexico; Chicago O’Hare (ORD); Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW); Denver (DEN); Ontario (ONT) in California; Punta Cana (PUJ) in the Dominican Republic; Raleigh/Durham (RDU) and Tampa (TPA), saying only that those routes would begin in March and April 2020.
“We’re excited to make flying more affordable for the Garden State with 15 new routes from Newark,” Barry Biffle, CEO of Frontier, said in a statement. The airline adds that all of its flights from Newark will operate outside of “delay prone afternoon hours.”
Frontier’s initial bevy of routes from Newark start just weeks after Southwest exits the market. The Dallas-based discounter will end nine years of service to the airport on Nov. 3, attributing the move to the on-going Boeing 737 MAX grounding and poor economic performance.
Frontier will replace Southwest in three markets from Newark: Denver, Orlando and Phoenix, according to Diio by Cirium schedules.
Southwest will consolidate its New York operation at LaGuardia (LGA) after ending flights to Newark. The airline plans to shift flights to larger aircraft at the airport in order to add seats in the slot-constrained market.
Newark is just the latest in a long line of markets that Frontier has entered in a big way. However, many have since shrunk just as quickly, including Trenton (TTN) and Washington Dulles (IAD). In others — such as Wilmington, Delaware — Frontier has pulled out altogether after debuting with a splashy entrance.
Frontier is the most likely to cut a new route among US carriers, a recent analysis by TPG found. The airline axed more than 13% of the routes it flew in July 2018 by this July.
Frontier faces stiff competition in Newark, even with Southwest’s exit. United Airlines serves all of the carrier’s planned routes except Ontario from Newark, Diio data shows. American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, JetBlue Airways, Spirit Airlines and VivaAerobus also serve some of the destinations.
Featured image by Shutterstock.com.
Related: The 7 Best Starter Credit Cards
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees