Spirit Airlines plans for ‘several new cities’ next year
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Spirit Airlines continues its growth tear with plans to add “several new cities” amidst a double-digit expansion next year.
The South Florida-based ultra-low-cost-carrier aims to expand capacity by 17-19% year-over-year in 2020, including the addition of the aforementioned new points, said Spirit chief financial officer Scott Haralson during a quarterly earnings call on Thursday.
He did not say what cities Spirit is eyeing but executives did highlight Nashville (BNA) as a successful new market.
“Not only is it a growing leisure vacation destination, Nashville is one of the fastest-growing cities in the U.S. and we are excited to add it to our portfolio,” said Matt Klein, chief commercial officer of Spirit, on the call.
The airline began service to Nashville with flights to five cities, including Baltimore/Washington (BWI), Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and Las Vegas (LAS) earlier in October. It will add flights to Tampa (TPA) in November, and plans to connect the Middle Tennessee city to Austin (AUS), Cancun (CUN), Los Angeles (LAX) and Newark (EWR) in 2020.
Spirit brings low fares, but with a buffet of added fees for everything from carry-on bags to water onboard, wherever it flies. When asked in September who it saw as its main competitor, CEO Ted Christie told TPG that its competition was not another airline but anything else consumers could use their discretionary income for, like a new TV.
The airline is off to a strong start in 2020. In addition to the new Nashville routes, Spirit has already announced a bevy of new routes from Austin, Cancun and San Juan (SJU) for the new year. No new destinations have been announced yet.
Spirit will support its growth plans with deliveries of 21 new Airbus A321neo jets in 2020, its latest fleet plan shows.
The carrier aims to continue to grow by double-digits through the mid-2020s, Haralson said. This was exemplified in Spirit’s commitment for up to 150 A320neo family aircraft due from 2022-2027 on Wednesday.
“A lot of exciting things are happening for Spirit and our guests,” said Spirit CEO Ted Christie during the call.
Featured photo courtesy of Airbus
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees