First Airline Officially Cancels Boeing 737 MAX Order
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As the saga surrounding the safety issues of the Boeing 737 MAX continue, the latest setback for the company is the first order cancellation by an airline for the grounded plane. According to a report from Bloomberg, Flyadeal has canceled its order for 50 of the Boeing planes.
Flyadeal’s parent company, Saudi Arabian Airlines, inked a deal with Boeing’s competitor Airbus at the Paris Air Show last month for 50 planes from the Airbus A320neo family. That order will be used to replace the Boeing order the airline has now canceled. Flyadeal will begin taking delivery of the 30 A320neo in 2021, with an option for a further 20 aircraft from the A320neo line in the future.
While the cancellation of an order that represents less than 1% of the total order backlog for the MAX isn’t a big deal at the moment for Boeing’s bottom line, it could be the first sign that airlines aren’t willing to wait around to see how long it takes for Boeing to get the issues with MAX corrected and get the plane back in the air.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
This post has been updated to correct the spelling of Flyadeal.
Featured Photo by Stephen Brashear/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in your first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at US restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees