First Airline Officially Cancels Boeing 737 MAX Order
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
As the saga surrounding the safety issues of the Boeing 737 MAX continue, the latest setback for the company is the first order cancellation by an airline for the grounded plane. According to a report from Bloomberg, Flyadeal has canceled its order for 50 of the Boeing planes.
Flyadeal’s parent company, Saudi Arabian Airlines, inked a deal with Boeing’s competitor Airbus at the Paris Air Show last month for 50 planes from the Airbus A320neo family. That order will be used to replace the Boeing order the airline has now canceled. Flyadeal will begin taking delivery of the 30 A320neo in 2021, with an option for a further 20 aircraft from the A320neo line in the future.
While the cancellation of an order that represents less than 1% of the total order backlog for the MAX isn’t a big deal at the moment for Boeing’s bottom line, it could be the first sign that airlines aren’t willing to wait around to see how long it takes for Boeing to get the issues with MAX corrected and get the plane back in the air.
For the latest travel news, deals and points and miles tips please subscribe to The Points Guy daily email newsletter.
This post has been updated to correct the spelling of Flyadeal.
Featured Photo by Stephen Brashear/Getty Images
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.