United Airlines hopes to fly the 737 MAX again by summer
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines hopes Boeing’s beleaguered 737 MAX will be flying again by next summer, and has pulled the aircraft from its schedules until June.
The Star Alliance carrier pushed the MAX’s return to June 4, United said Friday. This is three months later than it previously hoped, and two months later than when its peers American Airlines and Southwest Airlines aim to return the jets to the skies.
“Moving the return to service date back more than just a month — as we have done previously throughout 2019 — allows us to have more certainty by providing our customers and our operation a firmer and more definitive timeline,” United spokesman Frank Benenati told TPG. “With this new date now further in the future, we will better help our customers by reducing the number of our passengers we need to reassign to a new aircraft or rebook on a different flight.”
United will cancel up to 108 flights a day through June as a result of the continued grounding.
View this post on Instagram
Boeing is still waiting on the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration and other global regulators to re-certify the MAX. As recently as November, it hoped that sign off would come this month but in the past week confirmed that this will likely not occur until the new year.
On Monday, the planemaker took the extraordinary step of suspending 737 MAX production until the jet is re-certified.
“The FAA and global regulatory authorities determine the timeline for certification and return to service,” Boeing said in a statement following the suspension decision. “We remain fully committed to supporting this process. It is our duty to ensure that every requirement is fulfilled, and every question from our regulators answered.”
United operated 14 737 MAX 9 jets — the least of the three U.S. operators — when the aircraft was grounded in March. It had hoped to have 30 MAXes in its fleet by year end.
Featured image by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees