United Airlines cancels 3,500 flights in 2020 as it extends 737 MAX grounding
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines has joined its peers in pulling the Boeing 737 MAX from schedules through March.
The Chicago-based carrier has removed the troubled jet through March 4, United said Friday. It will cancel as many as 93 flights a day due to the continued grounding with the cancellation of nearly 3,500 flights in 2020 forecast.
Fellow U.S. MAX operators American Airlines and Southwest Airlines have already removed the aircraft into March.
Boeing hopes the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration, and other global regulators, will re-certify the MAX in December, allowing for it to return to commercial service in January. However that timeline is conditional on the planemaker completing four major milestones required by authorities.
The 737 MAX’s return to U.S. skies could slide further into 2020 if the FAA does not re-certify the aircraft by year’s end.
Getting the MAX back into the air is only the first step in its return. A skeptical public will have to be convinced that the aircraft is safe, with many travelers saying they plan to avoid the jet — at least initially.
Boeing and the FAA “saying that it is safe is not enough,” United CEO Oscar Munoz said in October on restoring passengers’ confidence in the MAX. “We will rebook you, so you are comfortable flying it.”
United flew 14 737 MAX 9 jets prior to the grounding this March.
View this post on Instagram
UPDATE: One of the last regularly scheduled US #737Max flights, a United Max 9 at Orlando last night. The FAA grounded all Max aircraft today, following two fatal crashes of the #737Max8 in the past five months. #avjourno
A post shared by Ned Russell (@airbus777) on
Featured image by Angelo DeSantis / Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees