United Airlines cancels 3,500 flights in 2020 as it extends 737 MAX grounding
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines has joined its peers in pulling the Boeing 737 MAX from schedules through March.
The Chicago-based carrier has removed the troubled jet through March 4, United said Friday. It will cancel as many as 93 flights a day due to the continued grounding with the cancellation of nearly 3,500 flights in 2020 forecast.
Fellow U.S. MAX operators American Airlines and Southwest Airlines have already removed the aircraft into March.
Boeing hopes the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration, and other global regulators, will re-certify the MAX in December, allowing for it to return to commercial service in January. However that timeline is conditional on the planemaker completing four major milestones required by authorities.
The 737 MAX’s return to U.S. skies could slide further into 2020 if the FAA does not re-certify the aircraft by year’s end.
Getting the MAX back into the air is only the first step in its return. A skeptical public will have to be convinced that the aircraft is safe, with many travelers saying they plan to avoid the jet — at least initially.
Boeing and the FAA “saying that it is safe is not enough,” United CEO Oscar Munoz said in October on restoring passengers’ confidence in the MAX. “We will rebook you, so you are comfortable flying it.”
United flew 14 737 MAX 9 jets prior to the grounding this March.
View this post on Instagram
UPDATE: One of the last regularly scheduled US #737Max flights, a United Max 9 at Orlando last night. The FAA grounded all Max aircraft today, following two fatal crashes of the #737Max8 in the past five months. #avjourno
A post shared by Ned Russell (@airbus777) on
Featured image by Angelo DeSantis / Getty Images.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees