United Extends Boeing 737 MAX Cancellations Into December
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
United Airlines has again extended its cancellation of Boeing 737 MAX flights, saying that the jets now won’t return to its schedules until Dec. 19.
Previously, United had the 737 MAX returning to its schedules on Nov. 3.
If United is able to return the aircraft to its schedule according to its newest projection, it would help give the carrier extra slack to handle the volume of travelers expected to fly around the busy Christmas and New Year’s holidays.
However, pushing the MAX cancellations from November into December means the planes won’t return in time to help United with the Thanksgiving crunch. But by taking the MAXes off the schedule now, it gives United flexibility to replace some MAX flights with other aircraft or to cancel flights far enough in advance to allow affected customers to be put on other flights.
“Since the grounding of the Boeing MAX aircraft in March, United has gone to great lengths to minimize the impact on our customers’ travel plans,” United said in a Friday statement to TPG. “We’ve used spare aircraft and other creative solutions to help our customers, who had been scheduled to travel on one of our MAX aircraft, get where they are going.”
With the latest update, United expects to cancel about 93 flights a day in November — or about 2,800 for the entire month — because of the MAX. For the portion of December that the MAX will be grounded, United expects 96 cancellations a day.
It remains unclear when the MAX might be cleared to fly again.
“During this period, we’ll continue to take extraordinary steps to protect our customers’ travel plans,” United said. “Moving forward, we’ll continue to monitor the regulatory process and nimbly make the necessary adjustments to our operation and our schedule to benefit our customers who are traveling with us.”
United’s latest update to its 737 MAX schedules likely came as little surprise to industry observers.
With no indication about when the FAA or other global regulators might clear the MAX fly again, having the jet return to schedules by Nov. 3 seemed increasingly unlikely.
Underscoring the uncertainty around the MAX, United said earlier this week it would move all 14 of its already-delivered MAXes to a storage facility in Arizona.
United said it was doing so to move the planes out of Houston – where 12 had been stored – as peak hurricane season approaches. United also had been keeping two MAXes at Los Angeles, but said a construction project there led it to reposition those to Arizona, too.
Featured image by Justin Sullivan/Getty Images.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees