Spirit Airlines plans first international routes from New Orleans
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Spirit Airlines will add its first international routes from New Orleans this June, connecting the city with Cancun and San Pedro Sula, Honduras.
The South Florida-based ultra-low-cost-carrier will begin service between New Orleans (MSY) and Cancun (CUN) on June 10, and San Pedro Sula (SAP) on June 11, Spirit unveiled Monday. The Cancun route will operate four-times weekly and San Pedro Sula three-times weekly.
Spirit operates Airbus A320 family jets.
The new routes come amid growing concerns in the U.S. about travel demand due to the outbreak of COVID-19, a member of the coronavirus family. American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Hawaiian Airlines and United Airlines have all suspended select long-haul flights due to the outbreak, while primarily domestic carriers Alaska Airlines and JetBlue Airways are offering passengers waivers if they wish to defer travel due to the disease.
The Cancun and San Pedro Sula routes will be Spirit’s first international services from New Orleans. It already serves 20 domestic destinations nonstop from the airport, where it was the fifth largest airline carrying a little over 11% of New Orleans’ 12.5 million passengers during the first 11 months of 2019.
Spirit joins the growing ranks of airlines offering international services from New Orleans. British Airways and Condor connect the Louisiana city to Europe, while Delta Air Lines and Southwest Airlines both fly between New Orleans and Cancun, according to Cirium schedules.
The discounter will be the only carrier serving San Pedro Sula from New Orleans, which it says is home to a large Honduran population.
New Orleans opened a new 35-gate passenger terminal in November. The facility replaced a terminal that first opened in 1959.
Spirit plans to grow capacity by 17-19% year-over-year in 2020. In addition to the New Orleans additions, it is adding new routes from Austin (AUS) and Nashville (BNA) in February and March, and will add two new routes to Colombia from Fort Lauderdale (FLL) in April.
Featured image courtesy of Spirit Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees