Spirit Airlines plans first international routes from New Orleans
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Spirit Airlines will add its first international routes from New Orleans this June, connecting the city with Cancun and San Pedro Sula, Honduras.
The South Florida-based ultra-low-cost-carrier will begin service between New Orleans (MSY) and Cancun (CUN) on June 10, and San Pedro Sula (SAP) on June 11, Spirit unveiled Monday. The Cancun route will operate four-times weekly and San Pedro Sula three-times weekly.
Spirit operates Airbus A320 family jets.
The new routes come amid growing concerns in the U.S. about travel demand due to the outbreak of COVID-19, a member of the coronavirus family. American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Hawaiian Airlines and United Airlines have all suspended select long-haul flights due to the outbreak, while primarily domestic carriers Alaska Airlines and JetBlue Airways are offering passengers waivers if they wish to defer travel due to the disease.
The Cancun and San Pedro Sula routes will be Spirit’s first international services from New Orleans. It already serves 20 domestic destinations nonstop from the airport, where it was the fifth largest airline carrying a little over 11% of New Orleans’ 12.5 million passengers during the first 11 months of 2019.
Spirit joins the growing ranks of airlines offering international services from New Orleans. British Airways and Condor connect the Louisiana city to Europe, while Delta Air Lines and Southwest Airlines both fly between New Orleans and Cancun, according to Cirium schedules.
The discounter will be the only carrier serving San Pedro Sula from New Orleans, which it says is home to a large Honduran population.
New Orleans opened a new 35-gate passenger terminal in November. The facility replaced a terminal that first opened in 1959.
Spirit plans to grow capacity by 17-19% year-over-year in 2020. In addition to the New Orleans additions, it is adding new routes from Austin (AUS) and Nashville (BNA) in February and March, and will add two new routes to Colombia from Fort Lauderdale (FLL) in April.
Featured image courtesy of Spirit Airlines.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 80,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 3X points on dining and 2x points on travel, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 80,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $1,000 when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®.
- Enjoy benefits such as a $50 annual Ultimate Rewards Hotel Credit, 5x on travel purchased through Chase Ultimate Rewards®, 3x on dining and 2x on all other travel purchases, plus more.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for airfare, hotels, car rentals and cruises through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 80,000 points are worth $1,000 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories
- Count on Trip Cancellation/Interruption Insurance, Auto Rental Collision Damage Waiver, Lost Luggage Insurance and more.