Spirit Airlines continues to roll out new routes, with Austin up next
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Spirit Airlines is on a new route roll, with three more planned from Austin next year that come just days after two more from San Juan were unveiled.
The ultra-low-cost-carrier will add flights between Austin (AUS) and Cancun (CUN) on Feb. 26, and Nashville (BNA) and Newark Liberty (EWR) on March 26, Spirit said Wednesday. The Cancun route will operate four days a week on Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, and the Nashville and Newark routes will operate daily.
In addition to the new routes, Spirit will add four frequencies between Austin and Orlando (MCO) for 11 weekly flights, it said.
Spirit operates Airbus A320 family aircraft.
The new flights continue Spirit’s strategy to add routes where it sees an opportunity to stimulate the market with its low fares. While the airline continues to add new markets, including Nashville that launches Thursday, it also connects dots on its map with routes like those from Austin and the two from San Juan (SJU) announced on Friday.
One route where Spirit is tapping a new opportunity is between Austin and Newark. Southwest Airlines ends flights in the market when it exits Newark on Nov. 3, leaving just United Airlines flying the route, according to Diio by Cirium schedules.
Spirit will compete with Southwest to both Cancun and Nashville, the schedules show.
In addition to connecting points on its map, Spirit is focused on improving the customer experience. This drive includes everything from improved on-time performance, new seats and inflight Wi-Fi. A new onboard cabin and frequent flier program are in development.
“Last year I signed a pledge to look at every facet of our guest experience and determine where we could improve,” said Ted Christie, CEO of Spirit, at the APEX conference in September. “This investment in our seats and onboard experience is a direct result of that commitment, and it also allows us to enhance our product value.”
Featured image by Javier Rodriguez / The Points Guy.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles after you spend $3,000 in purchases within the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn a $200 statement credit after your first Delta purchase within the first three months. Offer ends 7/28/21.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles after spending $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months and a $200 statement credit after you make a Delta purchase with your new Card within your first 3 months. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Limited Time Offer: Plus, get a 0% intro APR on purchases for 12 months from the date of account opening, then a variable 15.74%-24.74%. Offer expires 7/28/2021.
- Accelerate your path to Medallion Status, with Status Boost®. Plus, in 2021 you can earn even more bonus Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) to help you reach Medallion Status.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees