Spirit will soon serve more cities in Colombia than any U.S. airline
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Spirit Airlines will add two more cities in Colombia to its route map in April, giving it the most destinations in the South American country of any U.S. carrier.
The South Florida-based discounter will add service between its Fort Lauderdale (FLL) base and Barranquilla (BAQ) on April 23, and Bucaramanga (BGA) on April 22, Spirit said Tuesday. Both routes will operate thrice-weekly on Airbus A320 family aircraft.
With the additions Spirit will serve seven cities in Colombia: Armenia (AXM), Barranquilla, Bogota (BOG), Bucaramanga, Cali (CLO), Cartagena (CTG), and Medellin (MDE). By comparison, American Airlines serves six cities in the country, and JetBlue Airways three cities, according to Cirium schedules.
Compare to Spirit’s current map, circa December 2019 pic.twitter.com/vOp8GsZf6e
— Airline Maps (@airlinemaps) December 17, 2019
“We are very proud of our service growth to Colombia,” said Spirit CEO Ted Christie in a statement. He added that the airline is “excited” to add the two new cities.
Spirit plans to grow capacity by 17-19% year-over-year in 2020 with the arrival of at least 21 new Airbus A320neos.
In addition to the rapid growth, Spirit is upgrading its onboard experience with a new cabin and seats. The airline also hopes to begin offering inflight Wi-Fi, and roll out an updated loyalty program this year.
Spirit serves Colombia from its Fort Lauderdale and Orlando (MCO) bases, the latter opened in October 2018.
Spirit faces no direct competition on either the Fort Lauderdale-Barranquilla or Fort Lauderdale-Bucaramanga routes. However, American and Avianca fly between nearby Miami (MIA) and Barranquilla, Cirium schedules show. No airlines offer flights between the U.S. and Bucaramanga, which sits in an interior region of northern Colombia.
Featured image by Edward Russell/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees