Spirit Airlines adds new California route from Fort Lauderdale hub
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Spirit Airlines is adding a new cross-country route from its Fort Lauderdale hub, which will get nonstop service to the San Francisco Bay Area.
The South Florida-based carrier will add service between Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and Oakland (OAK) in April, Spirit said Thursday. It will offer a daily flight on an Airbus A320 family aircraft.
Spirit will be the only airline flying nonstop between Fort Lauderdale and Oakland, according to Cirium schedule data. However, Alaska Airlines, JetBlue Airways and United Airlines fly between the South Florida gateway and San Francisco (SFO).
The new Oakland route will be Spirit’s second nonstop between Florida and California. complementing its flight between Fort Lauderdale and Los Angeles (LAX).
Spirit plans to boost capacity by 17-19% year-over-year in 2020 with the arrival of at least 21 new Airbus A320neos. The growth will include new flights between Fort Lauderdale and both Barranquilla (BAQ) and Bucaramanga (BGA) in Colombia, and a buffet of new routes from Austin (AUS), Nashville (BNA), and San Juan (SJU).
Compare to Spirit’s current map, circa December 2019 pic.twitter.com/vOp8GsZf6e
— Airline Maps (@airlinemaps) December 17, 2019
The budget carrier introduced a new onboard cabin and seat in December, aimed at increasing what it deems “usable space” for passengers. Spirit plans to begin offering inflight Wi-Fi, and unveil an updated loyalty program this year.
Featured image by Edward Russell/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 90,000 bonus miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Offer ends 11/10/2021.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Limited Time Offer: Earn 90,000 Bonus Miles and 10,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $3,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months. Offer expires 11/10/2021.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees