Spirit Airlines adds new California route from Fort Lauderdale hub
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Spirit Airlines is adding a new cross-country route from its Fort Lauderdale hub, which will get nonstop service to the San Francisco Bay Area.
The South Florida-based carrier will add service between Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and Oakland (OAK) in April, Spirit said Thursday. It will offer a daily flight on an Airbus A320 family aircraft.
Spirit will be the only airline flying nonstop between Fort Lauderdale and Oakland, according to Cirium schedule data. However, Alaska Airlines, JetBlue Airways and United Airlines fly between the South Florida gateway and San Francisco (SFO).
The new Oakland route will be Spirit’s second nonstop between Florida and California. complementing its flight between Fort Lauderdale and Los Angeles (LAX).
Spirit plans to boost capacity by 17-19% year-over-year in 2020 with the arrival of at least 21 new Airbus A320neos. The growth will include new flights between Fort Lauderdale and both Barranquilla (BAQ) and Bucaramanga (BGA) in Colombia, and a buffet of new routes from Austin (AUS), Nashville (BNA), and San Juan (SJU).
Compare to Spirit’s current map, circa December 2019 pic.twitter.com/vOp8GsZf6e
— Airline Maps (@airlinemaps) December 17, 2019
The budget carrier introduced a new onboard cabin and seat in December, aimed at increasing what it deems “usable space” for passengers. Spirit plans to begin offering inflight Wi-Fi, and unveil an updated loyalty program this year.
Featured image by Edward Russell/TPG.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
WELCOME OFFER: 60,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $1,200
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: 2X points on all travel and dining, points transferrable to over a dozen travel partners
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 60,000 bonus points after you spend $4,000 on purchases in the first 3 months from account opening. That's $750 toward travel when you redeem through Chase Ultimate Rewards®
- 2X points on travel and dining at restaurants worldwide, eligible delivery services, takeout and dining out & 1 point per dollar spent on all other purchases.
- Get 25% more value when you redeem for travel through Chase Ultimate Rewards®. For example, 60,000 points are worth $750 toward travel.
- With Pay Yourself Back℠, your points are worth 25% more during the current offer when you redeem them for statement credits against existing purchases in select, rotating categories.
- Get unlimited deliveries with a $0 delivery fee and reduced service fees on orders over $12 for a minimum of one year on qualifying food purchases with DashPass, DoorDash's subscription service. Activate by 12/31/21.
- Earn 2x total points on up to $1,000 in grocery store purchases per month from November 1, 2020 to April 30, 2021. Includes eligible pick-up and delivery services.