Spirit Airlines adds new California route from Fort Lauderdale hub
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
Spirit Airlines is adding a new cross-country route from its Fort Lauderdale hub, which will get nonstop service to the San Francisco Bay Area.
The South Florida-based carrier will add service between Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and Oakland (OAK) in April, Spirit said Thursday. It will offer a daily flight on an Airbus A320 family aircraft.
Spirit will be the only airline flying nonstop between Fort Lauderdale and Oakland, according to Cirium schedule data. However, Alaska Airlines, JetBlue Airways and United Airlines fly between the South Florida gateway and San Francisco (SFO).
The new Oakland route will be Spirit’s second nonstop between Florida and California. complementing its flight between Fort Lauderdale and Los Angeles (LAX).
Spirit plans to boost capacity by 17-19% year-over-year in 2020 with the arrival of at least 21 new Airbus A320neos. The growth will include new flights between Fort Lauderdale and both Barranquilla (BAQ) and Bucaramanga (BGA) in Colombia, and a buffet of new routes from Austin (AUS), Nashville (BNA), and San Juan (SJU).
Compare to Spirit’s current map, circa December 2019 pic.twitter.com/vOp8GsZf6e
— Airline Maps (@airlinemaps) December 17, 2019
The budget carrier introduced a new onboard cabin and seat in December, aimed at increasing what it deems “usable space” for passengers. Spirit plans to begin offering inflight Wi-Fi, and unveil an updated loyalty program this year.
Featured image by Edward Russell/TPG.
WELCOME OFFER: 30,000 Points
TPG'S BONUS VALUATION*: $600
CARD HIGHLIGHTS: up to $100 annual CLEAR statement credit, up to $100 annual LoungeBuddy statement credit, 3x points on travel and transit, 3x points on restaurants worldwide
*Bonus value is an estimated value calculated by TPG and not the card issuer. View our latest valuations here.
- Earn 30,000 Membership Rewards® points after you spend $2,000 on purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points on all eligible travel, from subway swipes and window seats to hotel stays and city tours.
- Earn 3X Membership Rewards® points at restaurants worldwide.
- Receive up to $100 per year in statement credits when you use the American Express® Green Card to pay for your CLEAR® membership at select airports and stadiums across the U.S. and Permissible Biometric Scanning Technology terms: eye scanning, irises scanning and fingerprints scanning.
- Use the American Express® Green Card to purchase lounge access through LoungeBuddy to any of the lounges in the LoungeBuddy network – no memberships, elite statuses, or first class tickets required. Earn up to $100 in statement credits per calendar year on your LoungeBuddy purchases.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $150 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees