Hyatt members, listen up: Use this simple tip to avoid resort fees at 13 Las Vegas casinos
This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. Terms apply to the offers listed on this page. For an explanation of our Advertising Policy, visit this page.
I don’t like paying resort fees, so I try to avoid properties that charge these fees. However, most casinos charge resort fees in Las Vegas. If you don’t want to pay resort fees in Las Vegas, you’ll usually need to stay off the Strip in a hotel without a casino.
You might think you can escape resort fees at the 13 MGM casino properties in Las Vegas by booking through Hyatt — but you can’t. Although World of Hyatt typically waives resort fees for all members on award stays and for top-tier Globalists on eligible paid rates, Hyatt excludes stays at MGM casino properties from this benefit.
Get the latest points, miles, and travel news by signing up for TPG’s free daily newsletter.
What can you do to dodge those fees? You can match your Hyatt status to M life.
Historically, using this status match wouldn’t help you avoid resort fees since MGM’s M life Rewards program doesn’t waive resort fees as an elite perk. However, this will change when the new MGM Rewards program replaces the existing M life Rewards program on Feb. 1, 2022. In particular, the new MGM Rewards program will waive resort fees for Gold members and above on up to two rooms when booked direct.
MGM Rewards Gold status would typically require you to earn 75,000 Tier Credits each qualification year, which equates to about $18,750 each year in nongaming spending. (Of course, if you also have gaming spend, Gold may be more easily within reach.) However, you can currently snag M life Gold status if you have World of Hyatt Explorist or Globalist status by matching your Hyatt status to M life.
I worried this status match might end when the new MGM Rewards program and its waived resort fees for Gold members begin in February. So I reached to out an MGM spokesperson who confirmed, “MGM Rewards will continue to match Hyatt tier status under the new program as we do today with M life Rewards.”
Additionally, I confirmed that MGM Rewards Gold members who achieved their Tier Status through MGM’s partnership with Hyatt would have their resort fees waived for direct bookings.
MGM offers 13 casino hotels in Las Vegas, each of which typically charges the following daily resort fee (plus taxes and fees):
- Bellagio: $45
- ARIA: $45
- Vdara at ARIA: $45
- MGM Grand: $39
- The Signature at MGM Grand: $39
- Mandalay Bay: $39
- Delano Las Vegas: $39
- Park MGM: $39
- NoMad Las Vegas: $39
- The Mirage: $39
- New York-New York: $37
- Luxor: $35
- Excalibur: $35
In the case of the three least expensive MGM Las Vegas properties — New York-New York, Luxor and Excalibur — the daily resort fee often costs more than your nightly room rate.
If you already have World of Hyatt Explorist or Globalist status, you might as well match your status to MGM and avoid resort fees at these 13 Las Vegas MGM casinos. Go to this page on Hyatt’s website and click the blue “Learn more” button. Sign in to your Hyatt account and click the blue “Opt in” button.
Next, you’ll need to log in to your MGM account. I’d already matched my status, but when I went back through the process while writing this story, I got a “Page not found” error at this point.
I’m not sure whether this error happened because I already have M life Gold status or because MGM paused matches. As MGM confirmed it plans to continue this status match partnership under the MGM Rewards program, I recommend simply trying again later if you get this error.
Otherwise, if you don’t already have at least World of Hyatt Explorist status and think waived resort fees at MGM casinos would be helpful to you, now may be a good time to start working toward World of Hyatt Explorist status.
Explorist status requires 30 nights, 50,000 base points or 10 meetings and events each calendar year. If you add the World of Hyatt Credit Card to your wallet, you can get a jump start on status with five qualifying night credits each year. Plus, cardholders get Discoverist status, which will keep you out of the worst rooms and provide 10% bonus points on stays as you work toward Explorist or Globalist status.
Featured image of the Bellagio Resort & Casino courtesy of MGM Resorts.
Welcome to The Points Guy!
Earn 50,000 bonus miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new card in the first three months of card membership. Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants in the first three months of card membership.
With Status Boost™, earn 10,000 Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, up to two times per year getting you closer to Medallion Status. Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels, 2X Miles at restaurants and at U.S. supermarkets and earn 1X Mile on all other eligible purchases. Terms Apply.
- Earn 50,000 Bonus Miles and 5,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) after you spend $2,000 in purchases on your new Card in your first 3 months.
- Plus, earn up to $100 back in statement credits for eligible purchases at U.S. restaurants with your card within the first 3 months of membership.
- Earn up to 20,000 Medallion® Qualification Miles (MQMs) with Status Boost® per year. After you spend $25,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year, you can earn 10,000 MQMs two times per year, getting you closer to Medallion® Status. MQMs are used to determine Medallion® Status and are different than miles you earn toward flights.
- Earn 3X Miles on Delta purchases and purchases made directly with hotels.
- Earn 2X Miles at restaurants worldwide, including takeout and delivery and at U.S. supermarkets.
- Earn 1X Miles on all other eligible purchases.
- Receive a Domestic Main Cabin round-trip companion certificate each year upon renewal of your Card. *Payment of the government imposed taxes and fees of no more than $75 for roundtrip domestic flights (for itineraries with up to four flight segments) is required. Baggage charges and other restrictions apply. See terms and conditions for details.
- Enjoy your first checked bag free on Delta flights.
- Fee Credit for Global Entry or TSA Pre✓®.
- Enjoy an exclusive rate of $39 per person per visit to enter the Delta Sky Club® for you and up to two guests when traveling on a Delta flight.
- No Foreign Transaction Fees.
- $250 Annual Fee.
- Terms Apply.
- See Rates & Fees